Tyre load rating warning Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Tyre load rating warning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tomlinson
Experienced User
Username: mark_tomlinson

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 17 November, 2003 - 08:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just had to replace all 4 tyres on the shadow as the roadstone tyres that were on the car were not up to the weight of it.
If you have roadstone tyres on your car that are rated at 780kg check the writing just around the edge of the hubcap as this is where two of the roadstone tyres were splitting around the edge of the bead and the third one had the tread lifting.
I have had them replaced with Sumitomo tyres that are the same load rating, but I am told are a much superior tyre.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have done 5000 miles on these tires on a Spur - very nice thank you very much!

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, 19 November, 2003 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If they are the Bridgestones Bill mentioned in an earlier post, then I can vouch that they are exceptionally good, and I tend to work them hard in the corners. We have used them on two Crewe cars for over 20 years, and they achieve very impressive mileage and grip. The only drawback is the "S" speed rating (around 160 km/h from memory) which is not really high enough, but with a 110 km/h speed limit it doesn's really matter. Not like in Germany, where yesterday I covered 650 km in just under 3 1/2 hours leaving out a fuel stop, so the W rating (270 km/h) on my Turbo's 17" Michelins is not just for fun. With the higher speed rating I have disconnected the speed limiter which was set to match the tyres at 240 km/h. A "T" rating is strictly the minimum for a normally aspirated Crewe car. Shadows and Spirits need at least a 100 weight rating. 101 is better. 255.55VR15 Avons are 106Vs good for 960 kg, hence their unpleasant stiffness and difficulty to balance, and the V rating is only just adequate at 240 km/h.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, 20 November, 2003 - 07:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard/

At those speeds I would be also worried about the upholstery rating!!! In Australia if you get to those speeds and are caught I think it is a summary death sentence at the side of the road. It would be fun though!!!

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 20 November, 2003 - 06:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Same death penalty here in Switzerland, where the limits are 30 and 50 km/h in the city. On the highway it is just 120 too. But on the German boarder at Basel, the derestriction sign is just that. The Garrett T04B turbo starts to sing its merry tune on command. The fastest I ever drove in Oz was 220 on the Hume in my Falcon thingo for a short distance, then slammed the brakes back to 120 in fear if incarceration.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2003 - 03:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To clarify speed ratings, please see the attached.

RT.
application/octet-stream
Tyre speed ratings.doc (49.2 k)

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.188.19.65
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2003 - 03:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use 235/70HR15 Bridgestones at £86 each.

They are H rated to 130 MPH and are good.

They are noisier than the very quite Avon Turbospeeds which are £200 each.

But still OK.

I can push the car quite hard in the corners without the front end washing out, I am not brave enough to see if the back end is as good.

I would given a chance like to find the limits on race circuit.

I suspect it would get very messy before it spins out in a cloud of tyre smoke.

However I saw a film of a Turbo R with back end out rear wheels spinning half way round a bend at about 60mph and the driver held the line and squirted the car down the straight at about 140mph very impressive.

But that racing drivers for you!

The Bently done the lap in about 1min 40 seconds the fastest was a Zonda at about 1min 20 seconds
and the very fastest was a Navy Pilot in a Harrier Jump jet at 30 Seconds which is cheating a bit. he went 6 miles off the circuit so he could cross the line at 500mph. Then hovered to wait for the Ferrai

The Bentley still looked gracefull surrounded by tyre smoke it then shed the smoke and shot off like a rocket.

The driver even had the radio on.