Proper Height Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Proper Height « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 06:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me the correct rear height for a '76 SS (SWB). The workshop manual talks about different datum points however, gives no standard measurements for these points. On other cars I have been able to check the height by using a standard measurement for that type of vehicle at rest on level surface from ground to bottom of rear bumper. Does anyone know what that measurement should be?

Regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 08:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

Datum measurements for the Shadow I are as follows; see your manual Section H for more information on checking procedures. My basic check is to test the level of the car using a 1200mm spirit level resting against the lower sill - I know the showroom height is out as the springs have sagged and are to be replaced - the showroom height is determined from the data below:

front

rear

rear2
rear3

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.186.138.166
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 08:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quick visual check is that the sill trim is level with the centre of the wheels.

Nothing looks worse than a Shadow sitting down at the back.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 09:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Assuming we are still dealing with a 1976 Shadow the above information is for non-compliant suspension. Compliant suspension was introduced in February 1972. The dimensions are not much different but the requirements for fuel load and ballasting the front seats are important. The detail appears in TSD 4200 Chapter 'H'.