Extra floor switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Extra floor switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Taylor
Yet to post message
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2003 - 09:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have recently purchased a 72 Shadow (SRH13066), I has kept me busy fixing many things from the A/C to the braking system, I noticed it has an extra switch on the floor between the headlight dipping switch and the brake pedal, thus far I've not been able to ascertain it's purpose, the car has cruise control but the switch does not seem to do anything. The carpet is sewn around the switch so I assume it is original.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, 15 November, 2003 - 09:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know about the switch, but the cruise control is not original. Our similar 1972 T-Series SBH13247 has no such switch. I fitted a superior electronic microprocessor CC to it 20 years ago. The factory cruise control came in around 1974 as a very primitive mechanical device ready for scrapping before it was introduced. It did look ingenious albeit tacked on.

Incidentally, I trashed the floor headlamp dip switch years ago in favour of a sequencing relay driven by the indicator stalk headlamp flasher.

RT.

Martin Taylor
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 06:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard for your reply, this car was the demonstrator at Earls Court in London, it came with every available extra at the time (according to the documents that came with it) it has compliant suspension, seatbelt warning lights, rear passenger foot rests, fire extinguisher etc. The cruise control is original and I agree it is very basic, in my other cars I've installed the command units manufactured in Australia, they are much more functional.
I still have no idea what this switch does.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 07:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin,

If the switch is high up on the firewall to the right of the dipswitch; it is the foot switch for the Fiamm "Continental" air horns that were available on order from the factory.

DRH14434 was fitted with this switch and horns at the factory - the compressor is on the rear LHS guard near the hydraulic reservoir above the heater tap and the horns are behind the front bumper bar on the LHS.

The Fiamm units are the original triple trumpet units with enough volume to outdo Arch-Angel Gabriel let alone wake the dead!!!

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 07:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have also seen these on a continental delivered Cloud II. But they were just extra loud conventional horns. The idea was to allow you to blow the horn while frantically winding the steering wheel to negotiate the more exciting hairpin bends Europe provides.

Martin Taylor
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 07:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Gentlemen,
The horns are not fitted but may have been there when the car was in Europe, the papers show the first owner as Rolls Royce motors ltd so it may have some other odd attachments, I may wire the switch into the existing horn circuit or alternativly use it as a coast function for the cruise control system.
I've had this car a week, so far (if anyone is interested) I've done the following.

Recharge air conditioner, replace A/C hoses
Repair drivers side fan (rubber bushes had sagged causing blades to hit housing when accelerating)
Replace all flexible brake hoses
Bleed all brakes
Set parkbrake clearance
Replace brake warning lamp
Repair brake low pressure switch
Replace windscreen washer pump
Repair heater lower temp control flap
Repair clock (dirty points)
Fix wiper parking mechanism (missing sloppy linkage parts) and corroded wiper motor plug connections
Strip, lube and adjust power antenna clutch (was very slow).
Replace interior lamps, gear change lamp and glove compartment lamp
Replace broken radio
Replace number plate lamps
Repair slow front passenger window (open circuit brake, was able to rewind)
Repair central locking mechanisms (both left doors inner plastic guides crumbled)
Adjust passenger side mirror for drivers focus (is a LHD mirror fitted at factory).
Replace passenger front speaker
Polish Flying lady (was gold but flaky)
Repair mascot alarm circuit.
Replace hood lamp switch
Check petrol pumps (both working)
Adjust Charging Voltage (was 15.6, now 14.4)

In four days I hope to drive this car about 800Km I hope to have everything reliable by then.