Loose Hubcaps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Loose Hubcaps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Kentwell
Experienced User
Username: pete_kentwell

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2003 - 07:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any tips on how to tighten up loose hubcaps?

Mark Tomlinson
New User
Username: mark_tomlinson

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 11 November, 2003 - 09:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I assume you mean noisy hubcaps?
I removed the colour plate? ring? disc? whatever, and put a rather good helping of clear silicone under it then put it back on and cleaned the overspill, perfect!

Peter Kentwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2003 - 06:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark but I am actually talking about loose (and rattly). Three of my four hubcaps are loose on the wheel mounts. I've tried to bend the circlip inside the hubcap to make them tighter and even stuck little rubber strips at different points on the wheel - all no good. If you tap these hubcaps they clunk and move and I am sure that over certain types of bumps they make a noise audible in the cabin. Any suggestions?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2003 - 07:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

There is a strategic hammer blow that can be used to tighten up the hubcap clip but it is impossible to describe as you actually have to see someone do it.

Works very effectively by all reports however I have not seen it done.

Jon Rothwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.72.131.230
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2003 - 09:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had this problem on some hubcaps I got for my 1975 SS1 from overseas.

A well placed hit with a copper mallet will tighten them up easily. Do not hit the ring holders inwards (the logical way to go), instead hit them outwards to tighten the steel holding ring.
This sounds a bit strange, but with some experimenting you will find that these hubcaps can be easily tightened.
I had two hubcaps that would fall off after fitting, now I have to kick them on and have no rattles at any speed.

Mark Tomlinson
Experienced User
Username: mark_tomlinson

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 12 November, 2003 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One other cheap suggestion is to line the wheel with self adhesive Velcro and the hubcap with the other part of the Velcro, I have done this simply to avoid loosing one on the road while driving and let me tell you they take some getting off.

whunter
Frequent User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2003 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter Kentwell
Please send me three digital pictures of worst offending hubcap.
One of retaining tabs.
One of full back face.
One of full front face.
I will need one good picture of wheel rim hubcap mounting area, roughly 30 cm, and good view of hubcap finger marks in rim.
There are many ways to fix the sound you describe.
What is the cause, pictures may tell me.
I am on a dialup connection so small file size would be appreciated.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Jon Rothwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.72.131.230
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2003 - 08:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a thought on loose hubcaps.

I had an aftermarket plastic hubcab come off the left front wheel of my Shadow at 90KMH, it rolled beside my car, then crossed behind it (much to the alarm of the driver behind), then continued down the left side of the road for about 150 metres before going into the bush at the side of the road.
After that I binned all the plastic hubcaps that came with my car, and got some genuine ones. BUT, I still had to make sure that they would stay on at high speed or when cornering hard.
Imagine what would happen to a vehicle or pedestrian if one of the very heavy RR hubcaps were to come off and strike them.

Food for thought?

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 13 November, 2003 - 09:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On our '72 T I have wired the hubcaps on to avoid losing them. I simply use some 18 SWG solid plated copper wire. The hubcaps are the later slotted type so it is easy to do. One time earlier one fell off. A lady found it, rang the Canberra motor registry to find who owns a Bentley, called me up and delivered it to my home. How about that !

Bob Uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.185.221.241
Posted on Sunday, 16 November, 2003 - 01:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use white cable ties 2 per wheel.

My mates hub cap flew off his Merc and a truck squashed it flat. Road kill.

Shadow Hub caps are like hens teeth used in the Uk and cost £350 UK with the unpainted beauty ring. cable ties cost 10pence each.

I see loads of broken caps and exhaust boxes in the gutter . expensive.

Peter Kentwell
Experienced User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 19 November, 2003 - 06:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As usual fellas, great source of advice (and humour!) - many thanks. I think a combination will work wonders. Whunter, I really appreciate the offer but I don't have a digital camera (yet). Regards.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.186.40.203
Posted on Thursday, 20 November, 2003 - 04:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Worth cleaning excess paint off the steel wheel raised bit where the hubcap clips clip in. My ones were level with paint and crud.

cable ties also help stop sovenier hunters.

Incidently the correct term is wheel finisher ----hup cap is the bit that goes over the wheel brg.-- RR fit and earth brush to stop static and radio interference.

I have an anorak in triva.

Important---- with old cars it is worth taking the tyres off grit blast the wheels and check for corrosion--- I have seen wheels that are structually unsound because of rust.

Peter Davidson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.220.156.96
Posted on Monday, 24 November, 2003 - 09:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re hubcaps and keeping them on ones car.Living in the country and having lost one hubcap from a shadow i no longer have them on the car,only put on during state occasions etc.That said the present shadow in my shed has had 2 holes per hubcap and wheels drilled and long self tappers used.This was done by the former owner of the car.

BOB
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.186.214.45
Posted on Friday, 28 November, 2003 - 04:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I saw thes hub caps in a car shop.

They have wieghts in them have drive a dynamo that light LEDs around the edge like a fly saucer.

They were gross.

I can imagine getting them for Xmas and rushing out to fit them to the car to keep the kids happy.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, 28 November, 2003 - 05:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bob
I saw a decrepit old Shadow 2 running around Detroit, Michigan. (USA) with these revolting devices on it, vehicle lowered (three inch ground clearance), Massive white wall tires, large CB radio whip antenna and curb feelers.
Positively made me ill to look at.
Have a great day.
whunter

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.191.202.248
Posted on Saturday, 29 November, 2003 - 07:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whunter,

Some people-- I used to see an old Bedford CF Van (GM) hand painted like the A Team van and before that a Hilman Avenger like the Dukes of Hazard.

Shadows look awful when sitting low, it makes the body look tubby instead of ----- make your own up.

I should think it drives bad. And gets hung up in car parks etc.