Rear lights - Relay? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear lights - Relay? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, 04 April, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

I am experiencing an intermittent problem with the rear lights on my 1974 Shadow. The rear and side lights sometimes just don’t work. I was sure that it was a fuse problem (they are all on the same fuse) because when fiddling with the fuse I get it to work again. However, after testing the fuse and fuse holder I cannot find a problem there.

When I fiddle with the fuse I can hear a relay click, so I think that may be the problem. However, I cannot find a relay for the rear lights listed in the manual. Is there a relay for the rear lights, and if so, where is it?

Regards

KC

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, 04 April, 2008 - 05:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC,

Just a quick reply . . .

I think that the relay might be to dim the warning lights or bring on the panel lights.

Is it a glass fuse? Have you tried a new one?

check for a feed art the rivet that goes through the fuse board

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, 04 April, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul

Yes, it is one of the small 10A fuses. I have replaced the fuse.

“check for a feed art the rivet that goes through the fuse board”

Could you please explain this in more detail? Sounds worth checking because I get it to work if I fiddle with the fuse board. I’m just not sure what you mean.

Regards

KC

KC Saayman
Frequent User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 - 06:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I now know that the problem is indeed on the fuse board. By wiggling the fuse from side to side I am able to toggle the rear lights on and off. I have jammed a small rubber plug in there to keep it in the correct position so that I can continue to use the car, but that is obviously not a permanent solution. The problem is I’m not sure how to fix it. I’d appreciate your suggestions.

Kind regards

KC

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, 15 April, 2008 - 06:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC, Sorry - I missed your question above.

If you get a test light and put it on the fuse holder it should light, then try on the rivet that fixes the holder onto the fuse board. Then on the copper track on the fuse board. at some point the light will stop coming on.

I suspect it will be the fuse holder to the track from what you have described.

You will need to scratch the test light tip through the varnish on the track.

You may need to solder the holder / rivet / track.

Make sure you have very clean fuses and fuse holders first. A thin bit of emery paper or wet and dry is good to clean inside the fuse holders.

Regards, Paul.