Silent Service Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silent Service « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Experienced User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As responsible motorists I am sure that we all regularly check our tyres for splits, cuts, bulges, nails, glass, etc, etc. Also we look out for unusual wear rates or inequalities in wear patterns and maintain the proper tyre pressures - even the spare.
Nevertheless there is a tyre related item that sits, silently, ignored and unloved underneath our shiny bodywork patiently carrying its heavy load for decade after decade waiting for the day when it inevitably succumbs to the strains of the dreaded 'tin worm' and fails catastrophically at the most embarrassing possible moment ...
And what is this paragon of virtue to which I refer?
The Spare Wheel Carrier!
So what? you ask. Considering the load it has to carry surely it must be made from reclaimed girders. Sadly not. In fact it is made from pressed sheet steel little thicker than any body panel: As are the channels spot-welded to it for added strength.
As it happens I am about to renew the rear tyres on The Old girl so I thought it might be a good idea to refurbish all the wheels at the same time and even give them a lick of paint. I'd noticed, when checking the spare tyre pressure, that it was very rusty and decided to start with that one.
On removing it I didn't like the look of the carrier so I removed it and this is what I saw
The other side
Not much of the original paint left, eh?
Anyway; I set to with gusto (and a wire brush inserted in the business end of my power drill) and, after 3 coats of paint, this was the result .
The other side again.
Removal is fairly straightforward as the whole thing is held up by 3 half inch nuts and bolts passing through steel centered rubber bushes. (A tip: tackle the rear bolt last when removing the carrier and insert it first when replacing it to make the job a little easier ) Whether the bushes are still available I know not. Fortunately mine were, and are still, in fine fettle and should be good for another couple of decades.
So the next time you need to go under the back of your Shadow - or any other car that stores its spare wheel in a similar manner - spare a thought for the carrier. It may be on the verge of giving up and dumping its load in the path of a following car!

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 955
Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2008 - 01:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmm That little known publication Tee One Topics covered this matter on page 995 in Issue 71 in January. Subsequent inspections reveal the greatest damage in this country has been from dragging the bum of the car on the ground when going through ditches and up steep inclines. I have also had a number of enquiries about the later design arrangements forced on the Factory and hope to address these in issue 73! One aspect Jan that you did not mention is the lowering screw. Although they are mentioned in the servicing schedules they are often overlooked. I like to use a power drill and socket to wind the thing right down and back again after a liberal dousing with grease.

If the thing has been neglected undo the retaining nuts at the bottom of the screw and screw the thing out and remove the lifting rod from beneath!

Jan Forrest
Experienced User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill. I'd obviously missed that topic as I only looked in the index (which only goes up to Issue 63) when I 'searched' to see if it had been brought up. Although I've read every issue there are just too many to try and commit to memory - at least my memory! In my defence I must say that I read them in reverse order, over a period of weeks, what with issue 72 being at the top of the page, and number 1 at the bottom.
At least a previous owner must have greased the lowering screw as it runs very smoothly: Up as well as down. personally I keep a 4-way wheelbrace (spider) in the car just for that operation as it's far easier than using the Rolls supplied one.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 956
Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan Forgive me I was not serving a remonstrance, but merely enlarging on your experience. I must apologise for the index to Topics. It was originally compiled by an enthusiast in Switzerland and I have let the issues pile up since to my discredit. It is indeed a big job. When I used to edit our Federal magazine Praeclarvm I had a young man who worked for me who used to type Kalamazoo index strips if you have ever seen them, then sort them and compile the index. This in turn went to the printer who copied them in the appropriate font.

When my personal life precluded editorship I co-opted a Naval Officer who not only happened to like the cars he had a number of them. So he ran the magazine under my eye for quite a while. But there were no more indicies and now the moving finger etc - I am endeavouring to have the 5000 plus pages of the magazine scanned and indexed which turns out to be an enormous task. But it is all to the good. The Flying Lady is fully indexed and linked. I can type Bill Coburn into the form and not only do my very old writings appear as references but the actual pages can be read there and then. Its all a bit much for an old bloke but with an intravenous drip of Balveney, I will keep trying!