Starter motor - Shadow 1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Starter motor - Shadow 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pete Burgess
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.38.128.179
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2003 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The engine turned but didn't quite start and left a constant fast whirr in the starter motor. This continued with the key out, so I ran to disconnect the battery. Thankfully the car was at home.
Anyone else come across this problem?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2003 - 09:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Time for a starter motor overhaul; the main relay and/or bendix drive spring have given up and will need replacement Any auto electrician over the age of 50 will be able to overhaul the Lucas starter with his[her?] eyes shut at a cost that will not break the bank account.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2003 - 02:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A rider to David's advice if I may. A major repair to a Lucas starter these days is likely to be of the order of AUD900 a new Nippondenso - a vastly superior mechanism is about AUD1250 with a 12 month guarantee. And you can do the changeover yourself! The starter on my Spur is starting to grunt a bit on compression and I'll be the first to fit the Jap unit.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2003 - 09:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Which is the correct Nippondenso starter motor and reduction drive ? There are three types (UE46348 for SZ chassis 20,000-27998, UE71223 for 30,000-47,640 and UE73026 for 54,000-59,000). Are they interchangeable or available directly from Nippondenso ? A reconditioned one in the UK costs around A$600 outright with a 1 year warranty. I must say my 20,000 series car starts extermely well, but we have never had a problem with the T-Series Lucas unit. I fitted new brushes a few years ago as a precaution, but the old ones were still like new. The Canberra Lucas agent carries most starter spares. If it's working fine, leave well alone.

John Wright
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.87.229
Posted on Saturday, 08 November, 2003 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some years ago (and therefore probably well over 100,000 kms) I replaced the Lucas starter with the Nippondenso unit on my Shadow II (SRH 35475).This was an excellent move which I would recommend to all owners of 3 speed automatics. ( I was told that it will not fit on the 4 speed cars , but am unable to confirm this)
The car starts on the touch of a key and starting draws much less current. It is also quieter. Altogether, much more in keeping with the character of the vehicle than the Lucas part.

Pete Burgess
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.61.7.89
Posted on Saturday, 08 November, 2003 - 03:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK. Got under the car, removed the electrical connections from the front of the SM and after a fight removed two bolts from the rear. SM is rock solid. Are there any other bolts holding it before I get violent to shake it loose? http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/show.pl?tpc=17&post=1898#POST1898

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, 08 November, 2003 - 06:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

From memory the starter motor is held on by three bolts, two accesible from the rear and one from the front of the engine. The front bolt is on top of the starter motor and a long extension arm and socket is needed to remove it.

Make sure your reconnect the main earth lead when you reinstall the starter otherwise you will have huge problems.

Sorry I cannot be more specific but I am away from home and our car so cannot get underneath and advise exact mounting bolt configuration.

Pete
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.38.128.179
Posted on Wednesday, 10 December, 2003 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thought I should feedback after my initial request for help.
There are 3 bolts holding the SM in place, one at the top accessed from the rear and two at the front, one at 9 o’clock and the other at 6 o’clock. The latter had me stumped for a while as it has a thread attached sticking out for the earth and I didn’t realise it was actually a bolt as the head is only some 5mm deep.
Then off to my friendly car electrics shop who guessed $150 and proceeded to strip. It required work on the solenoid, the clutch and also the shaft was damaged so that was sent off to Brisbane for repair. Total cost $400 – not bad.
Replacing on the car was straight forward except I could not get my hand in the gap to replace the 9 o’clock bolt which also holds a sprung bracket securing a pipe and the main electric feed cable. Fortunately the wife’s hand doesn’t resemble a pound of sausages and she started the thread for me.
What a difference, the engine turns over at least twice the speed it did and actually starts first time. An absolute pleasure. Thank you all for your input.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, 25 March, 2005 - 01:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

2 years after the last post in this thread, today i (My SRH3430) suffered the same said problem here: My starter motor makes just "click". After some tries, is starts well sometimes...but the most times is just "click".
After readind carefully all said here before, it would not be necessary a failure of the starter motor, as it could be caused by a low charged battery, could be? I would like to know more experiences from other users before buying the nippondenso showed at http://hometown.aol.com/martingf/RollsRoyce.html
Please, if anyone has further details that the exposed in this thread, they will be really welcome!
It happened with no previous signal of malfunction. SRH3430 use to have a smart and soft start, with just one turn of the key, but this "click" just started after I was installing and testing a "new" classic oldtimer radio cassete in sustitution of the horrible one it had before. Could be this new "click" caused by the low in charge battery after installing ans testing this radio? I did no work on it for more than 20 minutes, with the contact switched on and the radio turned on. Could be in this short time a new 75 amp battery came so low to cause this "click"?
help, please.

Miguel A. Garcia
Experienced User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 25 March, 2005 - 07:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes!! WAS THE BATTERY!!! i pluged the Power Starter battery tool (is a fast starting battery) to the car battery and it started at the first!!

now i am charging it with the battery 3 amperes charger (it shall take over 26 hours to get full...)