Air Filter Mystery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Air Filter Mystery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC - South Africa
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 168.209.98.67
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2003 - 09:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

I have just bought a new air filter from our local Rolls-Royce dealer. However, it is slightly different to my original. Mine has a bracket at each end, with a little hole in the center. A locating pin passes trough the two holes, and this seems to keep the filter in position.

The new filter, with the correct part number stamped on it, does not have the brackets with the holes. Apart from that it is identical. Am I supposed to remove the brackets and transfer it to the new filter? They seem to be very much part of the old filter. The new filter fits, but without the locating pin it does not sit in the correct position.

I would appreciate your advice for I have replaced the old filter until such time that I can resolve this problem. My car is a ’70 Silver Shadow 8475.

Regards
KC

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2003 - 09:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi KC,

I suspect you have either an original filter element as below or an after-market filter that has been modified to fit the housing.
filter

The element spare parts listing for your car is the universal UE36200 and the layout for cars including your chassis number is as below:
spareparts

KC - South Africa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 02 November, 2003 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

Thank you for the quick response!

Both my original filter and the new one look like the filter in the second illustration above, with the same part number. However, without the bracket the filter won’t remain in position, as there is nothing on the inner side to keep it there. It drops down against the center pin.

The bracket I am speaking of looks like the item no. 2 on the second illustration, but is attached to the filter (One on each side) The new filter does not have the bracket.

Regards
KC

KC - South Africa
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 10 November, 2003 - 06:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I eventually followed advice and transferred the brackets from the old filter element to the new one. I had to cut new sealing washers from cork.

I still believe this system to be suspect. If one is supposed to transfer the brackets to the new filter, then surely the new filter element should be supplied with fresh sealing washers. Also, the brackets have to be glued onto the filter element to prevent them accidentally dropping into the filter holder when fitting. I simply cannot believe that Rolls-Royce would have such a potentially inadequate system.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, 18 November, 2003 - 08:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

KC

Just noticed this exchange. The items that come with the car are items 2 and 5 in David's drawing. They don't glue to anything but simply seal at either end and centrally locate the filter element. The two piece filter was used on the very early Shadows probably because it was easier to get it in, the later type can be a bit of a struggle. When all is assembled make sure the element is held firmly at either end and that the cover is screwed down firmly on the valance. While you are at it, carefully check the flexible trunking particularly on the underside. They have a habit of wearing through and sucking lots of fine nasties into the engine with catastrophic results.