SS II Heating Problem Brrrrr.... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SS II Heating Problem Brrrrr.... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

R.Perez
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.252.194
Posted on Sunday, 19 October, 2003 - 05:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1977 Silver Shadow II and have a inquiry about the heating system. When I put the temperature knobs to the highest heat setting I only get heat blown into the car for a few seconds before it cools off. This happens whether I am driving or whether the car idling. Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, 19 October, 2003 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a leaking heater tap which is not working. It is cable operated and should be wide open with the max settings. Find it on the left hand side of the engine with two water pubber pipes on it and a bowden cable. That is step one!

R.Perez
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 205.188.209.20
Posted on Monday, 20 October, 2003 - 01:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, I spent a while today with my head under the bonnet but was unable to locate the heater tap. I was wondering if you can give an idea of where to look by, master cyl, oil stick, etc.. I have a left handed drive Rolls. When you mean left side of the engine do you mean driver or passenger side? Thanks for any help you could provide. Thank you

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, 20 October, 2003 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right under the hydraulic reservoirs. LH side of engine bay between bulkhead and wheel well. That is your left when sitting in the car facing forward.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, 20 October, 2003 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill remember this is a Shadow ll.

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2003 - 02:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, Good catch. Missed that sorry.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, 21 October, 2003 - 03:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not often I have a win. Anyway the tap Mr Perez is on the left hand side of the engine (as you sit in it) and should be a shiny black box about the size of a cigarette packet with a Bowden cable going to it as well as two rubber heater pipes. From memory, it is is just forward of the left hand suspension tower low down near the exhaust manifold. The bowden cable goes back to the aircon actuator under the dash board.

whunter
New User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello R.Perez
It sounds like the climate control system is closing the heater tap.
I would remove left front screws from the curved carpeted panel under the radio/8 track (carefully pull it back).
The control lever with Bowden cable going to it is heater tap, with car cold, get your torch/flash light, start the car, get down and watch for lever to move, don't take your eyes off the lever for a moment.
You may see it move once to open (normal), however keep watching (with one hand on air vent), if I am right, you will see the lever move again, closing the heater tap, if this happens, you have a climate control problem.
According to the RR&B dealer master technicians I have consulted, the system you have is identical to one I just finished repairing (1978 Silver Wraith II).
My professional (and personal) advice: take it to the local RR&B dealer for service.
Best guess, the climate control system is getting a false passenger compartment sensor reading.
Good luck on this problem.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill and welcome to our forum,

Thank you for your input and advice to the various posts on our site.

I trust you will continue to participate and perhaps we may be able to help you from time to time with some Aussie "can do" help.

Kind regards
David
Technical & Spare Parts Officer
RROC[Australia] - NSW Branch

whunter
New User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 06 November, 2003 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David Gore
I will continue to participate and will be happy to accept Aussie "can do" help.
Will be posting a sad "new" 1957 Cloud I story, advice might help me.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com