Revised RR363 Formulation Released Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Revised RR363 Formulation Released « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, 07 October, 2003 - 02:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been advised by my UK counterparts that Castrol have now released the revised RR363 formulation. The details are as below:

"Steve Weaver, External Supply Manager in Parts and Accessories in Crewe, has provided further information on Castrol RR363. The new version of this hydraulic fluid for Silver Shadows uses a new base material based on the original formulation and has high lubrication properties. This is the stuff to use. The containers of RR363 are labelled front and back using the new Castrol logo, which looks like a cigar with a round logo at the round end and the word ‘Castrol’ along its length. The detailed label contains the statement ‘Exceeds Federal Motor Vehicle DOT 3 requirements’."

Anyone holding stocks of the "old" formulation should only use this for system flushing - I doubt if Castrol will replace unopened containers of the previous fluid however if anyone has any success in this area; please let us all know.

Carl Jensen
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.68.127.169
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2003 - 05:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm afraid this information may be mistaken, although the RR363 reformulation is something I have been waiting for a long time. A dealer here in the U.S. checked with Crewe and apparently the mineral fluid for Spirit/Spur cars has been reformulated by adding a lubricant. It is called Mineral Oil Plus.

I really hope that I am wrong about this!

David Gore

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2003 - 01:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl,

This information came direct from Crewe Spare Parts and specifically refers to RR363 - we have been aware that Castrol were testing a revised RR363 formulation in the UK for some time. The information was released at a RREC Technical Session for Silver Shadows.

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, 09 October, 2003 - 05:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been using LHM Plus in my Turbo R for some time. It was released by Citroen a while back and claims better lubrication. As usual, Crewe was a little slow with the update.

Of greater interest is the RR363 suitability or not. We must resolve this issue quickly if possible !

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 07:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am a little confused (more than usual that is). Carl's reference to mineral oil in the same breath as RR363 awoke my recurrent nightmares of someone putting the latter in in place of the former. So I rang the redoubtable Tom in Sydney to be told that the mineral oil plus had been out 'for years'. Is there yet another upgrade?

David Gore

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 09:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This topic refers to RR363 ONLY and not to mineral oil.

Hopefully we will get some information on availability and hopefully recall/replacement of the old formulation in the near future.

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, 10 October, 2003 - 03:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would have to agree that LHM Plus has been out for years...have been using it in my Citroen forever.

Need to have confirmation like everyone else re Castrol RR363...have made arrangements for the system to be drained cleaned and refilled.

Waiting for your updates David.

Regards,

Graeme.