Starter Motor wouldn't turn off. Now ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Starter Motor wouldn't turn off. Now won't turn on « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH20280

1- I Started the car this morning & the Starter motor went on with a noticable vibratory grunt. 2-Turned off ignition & starter motor kept turning over on its own for about 60 secs then died. 3- Now nothing, not even a click.

Under the bonnet I noticed a rubber hose had come off the inlet near the distributor and reconnected it. Probably not related.

I replaced the fuse which had gone (since yesterday) but still no go. Rolled the car backwards 1 metre , still nothing.

Have researched starter motors on the site and am wondering if there is something else/obvious I should check before I remove the starter motor to work on/replace it.

Cheers, Jeff

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Success! - The problem turned out to be 2 black wires going into the starter motor. One had broken off and the other was barely attached. The crimp washer will have to be replaced tomorrow - meanwhile the wires are just held in place with an ordinary washer.

The black hose turns off the fuel supply when it's connected to the mentioned inlet. Must find out what these do.

Jeff

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2007 - 09:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

Have a look at Tee-One Topics issue 16, and other issues too, to learn all about those anti-diesel and weakening devices. Find it on:

http://www.rrocavictoria.org.au/Text/1120979453484-4902/TeeOne-Topics