Starter circuit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Starter circuit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Baron
Unregistered guest
Posted From: zz81201.cipherkey.net
Posted on Tuesday, 24 July, 2007 - 03:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1976 Camargue JRE 22722, LHD, new to me, won't start. Lots of clicks when I turn the ign'n on, but no starter when I turn the key to "start". Battery is OK, all apparent battery, engine & chassis leads and grounds seem OK, all warning lights come on with ign'n on.

I've jumped across the starter relay and the engine turns, so I guess the starter solenoid & starter itself are OK.

All the connections seem good to the many relays & sockets etc in the starter circuit, and the relays all seem to have some terminals live with the ign'n turned on. (I noticed a couple of relevant previous posts in this forum but can't find anything amiss).

The one thing which doesn't seem right is that the neutral start microswitch on the column doesn't have any juice. I would have thought both terminals should be live when in P / N, and one should be live when in D / I / L / R. That says to me that something upstream of that switch isn't right. But I can't figure it out.

Can anyone tell me which components and connections are upstream from that microswitch, and which connections on the relays should be live with the ign'n on, AND with the key at the "start" position. I'm OK with simple wiring, but this is beyond me.

Help is appreciated, at the moment I have an expensive (but striking) garage ornament.

(Message approved by david_gore)

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-190-99.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Thursday, 26 July, 2007 - 04:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a circuit diagram in tech bit on this site.

there are two types of diagram.

theory and pratical.

The theory shows how the circuit works and the pratical shows where the wires actually are relative to the plugs.

I had a similar problem with a Montiverdi fitted with a RR type gear box actuator.

The fault was with a micro switch in the actuator.

There is also a switch for the starter circcuit in the gearbox actuator.

To test this lot you must refer to the fault finding fingy in the workshop manual.

Otherwise you will be peeing into the wind! -------------and that includes professionals no manual- no fix

David Baron
Unregistered guest
Posted From: zz81201.cipherkey.net
Posted on Friday, 27 July, 2007 - 01:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm pleased to report that "Reginald" is alive again. After a lot of head-scratching over the horrible wiring diagrams, and trying to check every damn connection on the car, I found one poor connection under the dash and that the starter relay itself was weak. The terminals showed live as they should using a test light, but it wasn't letting the amps through.

The two (coincidental?) problems combined to really.......confuse me. Not that I'm not confused enough already.

I will now operate on the basis that if something is wrong on this car, there'll be at least two causes.

To those who responded, thanks for the help.

DB

john bathan
Yet to post message
Username: jbt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2009 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help!
Warning lights and ignition light do not come on when switched on. Engine will not crank. Checked all fuses, ok. clock running, radio not working. headlights,window lifts working. Any ideas?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, 17 May, 2009 - 05:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John,

Any more clues? Did the battery go flat? Happened while parked up or driving?

Re-check the two small fuses on top left of fuse box. Check that there is continuity - and not just that the wire inside is ok. The soldered ends can detach from the wire inside so it looks good, but isn't.

john bathan
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2009 - 07:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Yes, the battery did go flat.Jump started the car,removed the jump leads and kept it running with the auto in neutral.Engine stopped after about 5 minutes.Have taken out all fuses and tested them individually including the one in the engine bay.All tested OK.Have tried earthing the engine to chassis to check if earthing is a problem.Still no results.Incidently, the battery has been recharged off car and and all tests recarried out with the same results.Suspect the starter relay but not sure where it is located and how to test.My RR is a SS2-1980 chassis no.srh0040557. You seem to have a clue since you're asking the right questions. Hope you can help.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, 20 May, 2009 - 08:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John , the starter relay is mounted on the accelerator linkage bracket, by the chassis leg on the drivers (right hand) side.

I think the colours may be.

white/red signal from key (via N switch and gearbox actuator) for starting.
Brown/black energises starter
White/Yellow 12v ignition feed.

john bathan
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 07 July, 2009 - 09:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul
Finally sorted my problem on the ss11. Thanks to your pointer on the starter relay. Found no power at ignition feed on relay.Rechecked the fuseboard with similar result. This led me to believe that the switchbox was at fault. Removed the switchbox(nightmare). Luckily,I found that power from brown/white cable linked to a post across the switchbox was absent. This I think is a bronse(brass?)link with Heat shrink sleeving. Removed the the link and found that the link was broken where there was a designed twist in the part to enable it to fit in the switchbox. Made a similar part in copper using the original as template and with heat shrink applied refitted the new part. The ss11 is now on the road again. Thanks again