SILVER SHADOW HEATING PROBLEM Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SILVER SHADOW HEATING PROBLEM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 19 September, 2003 - 08:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After my recent move to Brisbane with the Shadow, I am still getting used to the differences noticed between Sydney and Brisbane, particularly the weather. In the early days of Spring I find I am depending on the air conditioning most days.

I find there is an incredible amount of heat coming through the ventilation system without the air conditioning turned on, and even with the system operating, I find that after about 1 hour, the cool air goes, and again, I am getting very warm air flowing through.

Do all Shadows have a similar problem? I had heard from another driver that his air conditioning was almost non existant and he put it down to the fact that in England, air conditioning (cold) is hardly used, so the system was not all that good.

Here in Queensland, I feel a good air conditioning system is a necessity...so what do others know of:

1. Continuous flow of heated air into the car, particularly at floor level.

2. How good is the air conditioning system installed in the Shadow I, and are there any modifications that can be carried out to increase its effectiveness?.

Graeme.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, 20 September, 2003 - 09:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme

It is a beaut air conditioning system and can freeze your bits off in the warmest weather. You have the manual - do some close looking. First make sure the heater tap turns on and off - that is under the hydraulic reservoir and can be actuated by turning either or both switches from full left to full right. As a temporary measure given that Spring has sprung, if the tap is not working, disconnect the little link between the actuator and the tap itself, turn the tap manually to close it and lock it there. next step is to have your aircon system checked for gas - with old cars such as ours these need inspection once a year. With the gas replenished and no leaks (the aircon man will do this)you should get mammary freezing performance. If air is coming out at the wrong places, refer to your manual and work out which actuator is not working. Report back!

William H. Trovinger II
Frequent User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, 20 September, 2003 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graeme;

Bill is correct the system is very good. A lot of it is made by AC Delco (GM). Keep in mind our cars where not built only to be sold in UK but all over the world with a fair number going to Florida and Southern Cal. in the US also Middle East and Hong Kong. All these are rather warm places.

I also agree with Bill you should have coolant level check. Based on what you discribe that sounds like the problem.

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.32.8
Posted on Tuesday, 23 September, 2003 - 02:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Shadow was designed with the USA very much in mind.

The Air con on my Shadow 1 will give your fingers frost bite if I turn the eye ball vent towards the steering wheel.

Get the air con serviced ---in the UK I was quoted £110 including conv to R134a

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 24 September, 2003 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A postscript to my post! One rule many owners forget with any car air conditioning system is that the compressor must be run regularly. With the advent of automatic systems, providing they are left on their own and not switched off the compressor will last almost indefinitely and the gas will be retained. With manual systems however it falls to the driver to turn the aircon on at least once a week to keep the seals oiled up and the compressor valves unstuck.

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, 02 October, 2003 - 06:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill, reporting back as instructed!

You were correct re the two taps/switches being turned off. This is now done, and all are working correctly. Heat flow into the cabin of the car is normal...not unbearably hot as was the case.

As for the Air conditioning, again, you were correct! After leaving the car for service with an Air Conditioning expert, the system has been regassed and ....right again.....freezing my .... off! So much so, that I am using it on the lowest settings and maintaining an even cool temperature throughout the car. Bear in mind that we have been having 36 and 37 degrees each day here at Amberley and it is now a pleasure to drive home in the cool comfort of the car.

Next weekend I will spend time checking all the connections/levers etc. to ensure everything is working and all are lubricated.

I don't think the car has had a great deal of maintenance or servicing over the past few years, despite the receipts that came with it showing all the major works that were carried out.

Thanks for the tips and instructions...will now start ensuring all works correctly and get the car into top performance for the Centennary Rally.

Regards,

Graeme.

Bill Coburn
Prolific User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, 03 October, 2003 - 06:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great

One last post. Check whether you still have a suction throttling valve. See your manual for details. Very likely it has been removed and replaced by a thick brass plate. The result is two temperature options cold and #4@**%!!()**& cold as Alan Lowe used to describe the modification. I have never found out whether this can be reversed but it may be worth getting some professional advice.

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, 07 October, 2003 - 09:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill,

have checked...throttling valve still in situ but needs some work!

Am having it looked at this weekend and will advise the outcome.

I have been using the car each day and find the air-conditioning is working well....keeps a very even temperature in the car.

My Citroen came back from having a new gearbox fitted last weekend, so will start using it to go to work, but will still take the Shadow out at least once a week....keeps all the cobwebs out of the system. I keep comparing it to the Twenty of yore which I found suffered from not being used regularly.

Will let you know the results of next weekend's little exercise in maintenance.

Graeme.