Shadow 1974 Mirrors for best driving ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 1974 Mirrors for best driving safety « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 28 June, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never having driven a Shadow on anything more than a deserted country road as a test drive I wonder if anyone has an opinion on which external mirror types are:

a) closest to the original (did Australian delivery have different standards?)

b) Actually give the best (i.e. safest) view given the shape of these cars -I would fit both left and right hand mirrors.

Aesthetically I prefer the look of round mirrors and assume convex give the best view but if there is a qualitatively better type for avoiding accidents I'd prefer to know. Also I don't seem to be able to find any NSW RTA 'rules' about mirrors. Some cars don't seem to have a passenger side one.

Cheers - and by the way THANK YOU to all the people who have emailed and/or telephoned me with advice about buying my first car. One day I hope to be able to contribute something useful back to the fantastic mutual support shown on this site.

Jeff

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: client-81-108-190-99.brig.adsl.tesco.net
Posted on Thursday, 26 July, 2007 - 04:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The best set up is a door mirror for the driver and a wing mirror for the passenger side because the quarter lite is in the way on the passenger side.

This looks bad. So some have door mirror and two wing mirrors.

The best look is no mirrors

I have just a drivers door mirror which looks ok and works well.

The passenger side has nothing however I have got use to judging it correctly.

I have checked out a passenger side mirror but have found nothing works except a wing mirror which I hate.

This is one of the designs that would not meet modern regs which is the reason why cars no longer have quarter lites --- it gives a problem with mirrors and modern cars must have one per side--- the internal one does not count because passenger and or load could obscure it.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2007 - 09:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob,
I take your point about the aesthetics - I definitely want to keep the look minimalist, however for me it's a matter of contending with other drivers who seem to think a left hand lane (or a verge!) is an overtaking lane.

Is it possible do you think to mount the mirror slightly forward on the left so that it is visible through the quarterlight from the drivers seat?

Cheers,

Jeff

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 28 July 2007)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, 28 July, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeffrey,

Had a quick look through my photo archive and you might find the following examples of LHS mirrors interesting given their shape and position:

Collection of Mirrors
Collection

LHS Mirror DRH14434 [UK after-market fitted]
drh14434

LHS Mirror SRH4032
srh4032

LHS Mirror SRH40497
srh40497

A check of my Shadow reference books failed to find any useful photos other than the one below of an early Corniche fitted with wing mirrors. I suggest you might like to try the US dismantlers who advertise in "Praeclarvm" for a drivers door mirror from a LHD Shadow with a serial number close to yours and fit this to your car to match the existing mirror. Personally, I prefer the wing mirrors for practical rather than aesthetic considerations and dual mirrors are essential when driving in traffic or on dual lane roads for the reasons you gave.

Corniche

Regards David

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Sunday, 29 July, 2007 - 01:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, mine is a Turbo R but the same applies to earlier cars. I drive a RHD car in Europe, and it would be impossible without perfect mirrors as delivered on SSII cars onwards. On my Turbo R they are factory colour-coded to boot, as are the bumper bars and so on. My 1954 R-Type has wing mirrors, and they are fine only because they are convex, legal only for motorcyles (hint: where to buy a pair as I first did 40 years ago !). Not only do flat wing mirrors on a Silver Shadow or later look naff to me, but they are simply dangerous.

Another hint: the only difference between the external mirrors of a SSII and later from a Jaguar XJ Series III is the base pod. On a Jaguar, the mounting screws are exposed, on a SSII or SZ they are concealed. Otherwise they are identical.

RT.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 29 July, 2007 - 07:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DRH14434 (second photo) is closest to what I am getting at. There is a firm in the UK which supplies 'Lucas style' mirrors like this advertised as suitable for 'Jaguar etc.' with or without convex glass.

I'll try to find a right hand side drivers first though, when my first Praeclarum arrives. I gather a hole has to be drilled somewhere on the car and I'm a bit wary of doing something which later on can't be 'undone'.

Am I correct in assuming that on some fittings it's possible to change the actual mirror shape - i.e. square to round - at least with the RR originals?

Jeff

Jeffrey McCarthy
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2007 - 09:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Okay - so for the moment I've decided to go with non-remote mirrors and have sent an enquiry to Tony Handler in the US. www.tonyhandler.com (mentioned in the Shadow Owners' Companion) regarding the parts - especially the arm and fastening bits.

Hopefully I can get a match for the R/H side one - although I assume there was some variation during production.

However, does anybody know if the standard repro mirror heads which can be bought reasonably cheaply (on ebay etc.) are interchangeable with the ones which were attached to these arms?

Alternatively does anybody know who Crewe sourced these from - Lucas? Tex?

I'd like to avoid having to buy a complete unit for the right hand side as well as the left & a pair aftermarket of 4" stainless round heads would save some dollars.

Incidentally, I've discovered that apparently you have to remove the bumper bar to change a couple of number plate light globes. Can't wait to get into the engine !

Jeff

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check: -
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk
type 'mirror' onto the search box
or
http://www.holden.co.uk
click on 'hardware' and then 'mirrors'

SB
www.boddice.co.uk