Rear belts / front headrests Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear belts / front headrests « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

luke UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: user-5446acfb.lns6-c12.dsl.pol.co.uk
Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need to fit rear seat belts to my shadow 1 1974 SRH18738. This is necessary for 3 child seats that need to go in the back! I have spoken to various people about this and have been told its possible to mount the inertia reels under the parcel shelf exiting through very neat chrome trims(which i have located) Has anyone got any information to help with installation or better still photographs? I have also been told that the mounting points are in all cars-is this true? The other option is shelf mounted reels with custom made covers.Question 2 - on a long journey recently we both missed having a headrest when relaxing in the front passenger seat - has anyone fitted headrests to a early car and if so whats involved? We have them in the back - but not in the front- many thanks Luke.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 725
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Luke,

Not sure if the UK installation requirements for child seat safety restraints are the same as Australia however we are not permitted to use inertia reel seat belts on their own to restrain the safety seats. The seats must be restrained with a fixed adjustable restraining strap from the top of the seat attached to a mount either on the parcel shelf or on the floor behind the seat.

DRH14434 [UK delivered car subsequently shipped to Oz] was fitted here with rear lap belts to existing floor mounted anchorages however I never needed to check if anchorages were provided behind the rear seat for child safety seat tethers.

Hopefully one of our contributors has fitted child safety seats for their children/grandchildren and can enlighten us.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Friday, 01 June, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All SY cars and onwards have floor and pillar anchorage points for seat belts.

Crewe, for many years, left it for local agents to fit the belts as various country standards were different and changing quickly. Outrageous as it may seem, in the UK seat belts were not even required until years later. For example, York Motors in Sydney fitted the Britax inertia reel belts in our '72 T-Series during pre-delivery: four lap-and-sash belts and a passive lap belt for the centre rear, to comply with local design rules. The rear reels bolt to the base of the trunk with a reinforcement. The front reels are each located in a cavity below the floor. The SAA child restraint attachment was only fitted in 2000 when my daughter was a baby. It required a steel plate under the parcel shelf to meet legal requirements.

Peter Colwell
Experienced User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 26 June, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another belt complication was around the time that Australia went metric. Just before conversion, I understand that Porsche cars were being imported in to Australia with belts 50mm wide. But the pre-metric ADR rules at the time stated that the belts must be 2 inches wide. Now, 50mm is just a fraction short of two inches, but nevertheless, the German belts had to be removed and Australian (Britax) belts fitted before registration.

Car makers sometimes get blamed for what is really bureaucratic nonsense...