Tyre pressure and petrol Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Tyre pressure and petrol « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monty
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.45.106.68
Posted on Tuesday, 23 March, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I run premium unleaded tooin a SS1. is there a need to add a lead replacement additive each time I fill the tank? There does not seem to be consensus on the need to do this.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, 24 March, 2004 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plain premium unleaded suits our '72 T-Seies (high compression, big carbs, no smog control) just fine. When leaded disappeared, I was surprised that it runs better and uses less on the highest unleaded octane rating available. For once I believe the oil companies' claims af saving fuel (and cost) by spending more on the ultras. At the risk of being shot down as usual, I think the additives are snake oil and would rather save the money. Even with the claimed octane boosts my opinion is that straight premium unleaded is better and actually costs less than a lower rating with a booster.

In Europe you can now buy 100 Octane ULP. That may be even better as you can advance the ignition timing a little which these motors really like: more power and economy.

If you do a search you will find mountains of gabble on this topic on this site.

james woo
Frequent User
Username: james

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 03:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone:

I just brought a 1973 Silver Shadow, just want to know what is the correct tyre pressure for both the front and back wheels.

Also my brother-in-law said to me that I should add some additive to the petrol everytime I fill up, is this true? It use unleaded 96 fuel right?

Regards
James

Jon Rothwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.9.128.174
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Both my cars have "100 Octane" plates in the fuel tank filler recess, but I use premium unleaded which I think is about 97 octane. My shadow does show some detonation under hard throttle (but I am a leadfoot). Shadow engines are suited to unleaded fuel, but the compression ratio varies between cars (depending on destination market) so it pays to check what compression your car has.

If you have a car with deposits on the pistons and heads it will have a higher compression than standard.

james woo
Frequent User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jon:

I will check

Regards

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your tyre pressures may be on the glove box lid, but are certainly in the owner's manual. The workshop manual quotes 28 psi (2 bar) front and rear for 205x15 tyres under normal conditiond. I always run them higher at 34 psi with better results in wear and performance, and this is with 25 years of proof.

On fuel, there was much debate a few years ago. My own experience (eg with a high compression, big carburettored 1972 T and several others with compressions ranging from 7.2:1 to 10:1, carburettor and injection) is that the oil companies' clains are correct concerning premium unleaded. When we switched to Shell Ultima etc 98 octane premium unleaded, performance was restored and fuel economy significantly improved. The cost saving was a surprise bonus to me. On our other cars within our family (Bentleys and others) the experience was surprisingly the same. One car had suffered fuel injection problems and only adequate performance from new on the recommended standard unleaded. The dealer could never fix it. On switching to premium the problems vanished and it goes much better than ever.
application/msword
tyres.doc (97.3 k)

Richard Treacy
Prolific User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 06 August, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also:
application/octet-stream
Tyres 2.doc (93.2 k)

james woo
Frequent User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 09 August, 2003 - 07:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou very much Richard.

Regards

James

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 15 August, 2003 - 06:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

I am guessing that your car hasn't a hand book with it?

You need to get hold of a copy of the handbook which has all manner of useful tips and help in it.

As for petrol, there has been much debate on the type of petrol to use, with many articles written in favour/against unleaded petrol.

I am still using lead replacement fuel in my car as it runs better than on unleaded. HOwever, having said this, the car has not been tuned in some months of driving. But, I always add Wynns Octane Boost to the tank of petrol! I have no doubt there will be some who don't see the point in this, but I have used this product in any Rolls Royce that I have had for over 30 years. I also use Wynns additives to the oil in the engine. It gives me peace of mind even if it does nothing for the engine.

There was a wonderful old Gentleman at York Motors for many years who said to me, Ï don't know if the additives do anything for the cars, but if it keeps you from ringing me up saying there is a noise here or a rattle there...m'say, then I think you should use them.

I suggest you try them..my car is running very sweetly and I have the added satisfaction of knowing that the engine has a coating throughout which can only do good.

Regards,

Graeme.

james woo
Frequent User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2003 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Graeme! Appreciated.

Regards
James

james woo
Frequent User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2003 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard for the document, appreciated

Regards
James