Gearbox Problem, stuck in park Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Gearbox Problem, stuck in park « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

T P Hodgkinson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: syd-pow-pr6.tpgi.com.au
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2006 - 08:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all.
Wish that I had discovered this board a long time ago.
I am seeking some assistance with the gearbox on my shadow SRH 7919.
I bought this vehicle several years ago in a very sorry state and have been working on the interior for the last 3 years ( I do not have much in the way of free time).
During this period the car was parked on a steep slope, park engaged and wheels chocked.
I had to move receintly and to my horror it is stuck in park.
I have 2 sets of manuals for the car, a 3 volume hard copy & a 2 volume CD but neither have any information on the Turbo 400 box, just the 4 speed RR box.
Is this likley to be fixable in situ or is it a pull the box out job ?
I am reasonably mechanically proficeint but have never touched an auto box before.
Thanking you greatly
Trevor

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 800
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor/

My apologies. I had not realised that we do not have the manuals for the transmissions in our library. I will fix this very smartly. In the meantime I would guess that the problem is a low battery. As the car is on a steep slope if it is sitting on the parking pawl it will take a fair bit of effort to pull it out of park. If the battery is low there will not be enough to do the job. You might also check the fuze box for the cutout with the red button. Push it, if the load has been too great that may have tripped.

If it wont pull out with a full battery I suggest you secure the car with very heavy chocks or a chain or even another car with a couple of spare styres between them. Use a small jack and lift one of the rear wheels off the ground, release the handbrake (now you know why it should be securely chocked)and turn the wheel a little. This will take all the load off the parking pawl, then try the gear change lever.

If the the thing still refuses to change, get under the car and disconnect the push pull rod at the clevis between the servo motor and the gearbox and physically move the change lever which should pull it out of park.

If you can't move the lever go and have a suitable libation and then have the car towed to your friendly transmission bloke and he will find the trouble.

If you wish send me an email spur84@bigpond.com and when I have scanned the box bit of the manual I will send the files.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2006 - 04:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill and Trevor,

The section T Transmission under the early SZ cars in the technical library is identical to that for the SY cars with the 3L80/THM400. The section T under 20000-30000-series cars is virtually the same (only the drain plug and dipstick takeoff changed at chassis 20,000). It's all there.

RT.

Jon Rothwell
Frequent User
Username: jon_rothwell

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just as a matter of interest was the car parked up with the handbrake on? If so it may be that the handbrake pads have glued themselves to the discs over time. I have had this happen a couple of times and never store cars with the handbrake on anymore.

T.P.Hodgkinson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: syd-pow-pr6.tpgi.com.au
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2006 - 06:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
Thank you for your advice.
The first bits I have already done.
When I was working on the car I put it in park, applied the handbrake, chocked the wheels then released both the brake & gearbox so that the weight was on the wheel chocks before I reapplied both hand brake & park, having had the car go flying down the drive once before ( I am new to electronicly controlled gearboxes as well ) I was not going to allow that to happen again.

Richard,
Thank you for your information.
The section " T " appears to be missing from the library set of PDF's, it goes from S to U
However I have had another look at the CD that I bought and low & behold it is there just where you said it would be.
When I saw the chapter headding "Torque converter" I assumed that it was just about the actual torque converter.
I was looking for a section titled "Turbo 400" or "3 Speed Geqarbox" or somthing similar.
Thank you.
On with the overalls & under the car.
Trevor

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

jack rear of car up so that any load on the parking pawl is removed.

If hand brake has stuck on slacken long 1/2 AF nut on the H/B caliper. Smack the caliper around gently with an 'ammer.

If car still does not come out of park.

Pull the clevis pin on the gear box linkage and move arm by hand.

Get helper to work selector which should have 6 diffinate positions.

If the gear box does not move by hand then remove sump pan and have a look .

Read my posting in general discussion RR parts on other makes.

Get back to me if you do not understand.