Cocktail requisites in Corniche doors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Cocktail requisites in Corniche doors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter R
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.106.142.48.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Monday, 30 October, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 1979 RR Corniche (CRH 50113) has factory-fitted cocktail requisites in each of the doors. The 5 recesses in each cabinet consist of one which has obviously been designed to take a hip flask and 4 other small circular recesses approx 5cm in diameter. When I purchased the car, only one (Selangor leather & pewter) hip flask was in one of the doors. Otherwise, the cabinets are empty. I have a copy of the original build order for this car, but it does not give specific detail regarding the contents of the cocktail cabinets. I presume that the car would have come supplied with the contents eg. flasks, glasses etc. I have tried to hunt down visual reference on the internet and in books etc, but cannot find anything that helps me identify the correct original contents of Corniche cocktail requisites. Can anyone help me to identify what the correct contents/ crystal brand/ glass types etc. would be, so I can restore the car to its former glory ! Many thanks.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 794
Posted on Saturday, 11 November, 2006 - 07:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Peter this is a refreshing change from saggy bums and micturating hydraulics. I have a Phantom VI at the moment complete with crystal decanter and four stemmed matching glasses and have often wondered how one would replace them.

If you want originality you are on your own although I suspect someone with a complete car is somewhere and may bother to let you see the cars accoutrements!

I had a similar problem with a James Young Cloud that had four holes and a big hole and nothing would fit them. So I reefed out the holder which was simple enough and made up a new one using currently available items. I even bought extras to stave off the day when the problem would once again arise.

I assume you are in the States which raises the legality of these fittings. A number of States forbade by law the carriage of alcohol in the passenger compartment of a car whether it was being driven or not, but the spectacle of a patrolman ordering you out of your car and inspecting the contents of your decanter/hip flask, stretched my credability.

As to what you put in them poses another problem. Given the temperatures the interiors reach on a hot day I am quite sure the 'legs' on my favourite single malt would be severely damaged! Perhaps Port may fare better. Really it is a bit of a Marie Antoinette problem ' ...no bread - then let them eat cake!'.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 06:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
I suspect Peter R is in Australia, not the USA.

ttp://www.optusnet.com.au/

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: brig-cache-4.server.ntli.net
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2006 - 04:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would think that the glasses and flasks were not anything specail just good quality and may have varied from order to order depending on what the factory could get hold of at the time because this would be a rare request from the original customer who ordered the car.

So all that needs to be done is to buy some suitable looking replacements in sets. The glasses should be easy and cheap and the flasks a bit more but not so easy to find.

Try Maplin and Web.

Peter R
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 58.106.139.180.optusnet.com.au
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2006 - 07:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the advice, gents (and your good humour, Bill!). And yes, I am in Australia. I have since purchased a set of four Royal Doulton Crystal shot glasses which fit perfectly (two for each door)and am now hunting around for a couple of other receptacles to complete the set. I note in the build order for the car that the original buyer requested additional 'holes' to hold containers for mixers such as soda/tonic. Anyway, it's all proving to be good fun and I look forward to completing the set! Thanks again.

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, 17 November, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter. Although you certainly have a challenge on your hands, with patience and time, you might be able to acquire the cocktail requisites. First, take a look in this forum in the Technical Library and scroll down to Supplementary Parts List For 2-door SZ cars. In your case, it will not make a difference if your car falls under the SY category. Once you're in there, go to Section S23-010-01, or page 60 out of 78. You will see all the pieces for the two types of cocktail requisites. Additionally, I know I have somewhere in my collection of RR brochures, photographs of the particular items for your car. The flask was covered in tan hide, and had a charming little glass sight-level indicator. Also, there were two different designs to the cut crystal nip glasses. I hope this is of some help. Please let us all know how your search goes. Best regards, John

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, 18 November, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Peter ... Curiosity got the best of me, and so I did some checking. If you'll kindly click onto www.vantagemotorworks.net and go to their Pre-Owned Inventory, you'll find a 1987 Bentley Continental DHC, chassis HCX16748. There is a detailed colour photograph of the particular cocktail requisites for your car. Also note, that there is a corkscrew/bottle opener. Good luck. John

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2006 - 09:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter I have failed you. I have found a picture of a Corniche coktail cabinet . It was in tee one topics! I'll try to get a copy to fit here

(Message edited by Bill Coburn on November 20, 2006)

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2006 - 09:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Next effort

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, 14 January, 2007 - 04:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those who have been searching in vain for certain cocktail requisites, you can visit www.tudorcrystal.com and have a look. The pattern usually specified for our cars is "Seymour" and indeed, the nip glasses are available. I don't know if the decanters are, but they would be worth asking about. Hope this information helps some of you.

StevenBrown
Experienced User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, 09 March, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad I read the replies. I have Royal Doulton Crystal glasses. Looked at a Seraph with a set for the rear passengers and you can see the pictures in the ad: ,http://autotrader.ca/used_cars_Cars_details/VICTORIA_British+Columbia_1998_ROLLS+ROYCE_SILVER+SERAPH+_3672702.html?srcid=7039365&source=27&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=20100202100813750&r=britishcolumbia&ad-attributes=photos,,

My Crystal set at home is nearly identical, so good non original replacements. Also remember seeing and I'll dig it up. Replacements in the RROC America store catalog.