Interior Lights Keep Switching On Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Interior Lights Keep Switching On « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Howard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: user-514d9a67.l3.c2.dsl.pol.co.uk
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2006 - 05:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sirs,Rolls Royce SRH14936,over the past few weeks the delay after shutting the doors before the interior lights switch off has increased to about 30 seconds,now they switch on and off at random leading to a flat battery,unless I remove number 1 fuse.Where is the timing device located,do you know the part number, is the device repairable? The problem becomes worse when it rains,is it in a vulnerable position ?Thank You Dave Howard

(Message approved by david_gore)

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2006 - 01:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I look forward to the answers you receive. I have the same problem every time I wash my car! I have to remove no. 1 fuse for a few days, after which all is well again.

Regards

KC
1974 Silver Shadow
South Africa

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Wednesday, 08 November, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,
Have a look at the switches on the A and B pillars
for the interior lights and look for a loose earth wire or water ingress causing an earth.

David Howard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.110.149.93
Posted on Friday, 12 January, 2007 - 09:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear sirs,problem solved it was the interior light delay relay replaced at a cost of £20 secondhand,very difficult to find ,it is located above the left hand side parcel shelf it can be viewed by looking upwards from the front footwell it is a square white plastic box screwed to a black plastic holder

Paul Yorke
New User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 16 January, 2007 - 07:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, if it's the one I'm thinking of, were the screws hard to get to? ( I think they changed it on some years )

For anyone else wanting to change it:

We used to leave the case in place and unclip and swap the circuit board. If you have the new unit in your hand you'll see it pops out quite easily.

(Message edited by paul yorke on 16 January 2007)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, 16 January, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hum! My question is why the fault of the relay was
worse when it rained or the car was washed.
Could one of the door switches still be at fault?

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, please give me a clearer description of the location of the delay relay. Is it in the passenger footwell, looking up at the bottom of the glovebox?

As mentioned, I also have this problem every time I wash my car.

Kind regards

KC

Paul Yorke
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 - 01:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The timer unit uses solid state components to turn the lights on. These are sensitive and can get even more sensitive over time.

When the door switches get damp they allow a small voltage through which is enough to trigger the timer.

I guess if you had the door switches operating a relay and that operating the timer there would not be a problem because the relay would not be as sensitive.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, that makes complete sence thanks.

Shall i be daring and ask you your veiws faults on the SS1 SS11 good window operation as RR electricians designed and it working well in the first inst over many years.
I do not it seems have the need for tinkering mods as some do?

Paul Yorke
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 - 08:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bit off topic but . . .

IMHO move somewhere dry! Or garage the car.
Use them at least once a week.
Use chain lube on the chain.
Use a silicone grease on the runners and up rights.
Remove the motor and spray grease into the gearbox.
lubricate the front bush on the motor.
Remove the rear adjuster, grease and refit leaving a very slight anount of play.
WD40 the connectors where crimped etc.
Use them weekly. ( I know I've put this twice! )

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2007 - 08:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, I agree, if i may say one other tip,make sure the battery volts after a run are 14 volts engine running.

Oh by the way welcome to the forum if it has not been said before.