Camargue - she no go! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Camargue - she no go! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Dabrowski
Experienced User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 30 July, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a customer who has a Camargue that sits in the shed and thats about all it does. The gardener/car washer/caretaker approached me because he knows I have a Rolls-Royce.
Basically he was asked to take the car out of the shed and wash it. It had a flat battery so he jumpstarted the car and all was well. After running for about 5 minutes he went to move the car and it stalled. It now won't start. The interior lights work so ther must be power there, but there are no ignition lights when the key is turned. Attempts to jumpstart it are fruitless. Any suggestions gentlemen?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Jump U.K.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.249.162.132
Posted on Monday, 31 July, 2006 - 07:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a similar problem on a silver wraith 11 I bought recently. Withdraw the switch box (ign & lights) and check for power coming into the switch box, I think it is a thick brown lead and it feeds the lighting switch. Power is then transferred from the lighting switch to the ignition switch using a brass connector strip covered in yellow insulation. This strip has two acute bends in it. On mine the brass strip had fractured inside the yellow insulation on one of these bends, it appeared to have fractured as a result of fatique as brass as far as I'm aware does not take to tights bends, a design flaw. You will need to withdraw the switch box and remove the metal sleeving by undoing the three small nuts, this will expose the guts. It sounds difficult but is straight forward and should take about thirty minutes. This assumes the carmargue ignition switch box is the same and the shadow range of course.
Use a simple test bulb to check for power and assuming there is power at one end of this yellow strip there will be none at the other end if it has fractured inside the insulation. Funnily enough, when I first bought the car the ignition switch worked fine, it was only after withdrawing the key that the problem occured i.e no ign or oil warning lights. Constant turning the ign on and off eventually bought the warning lights on and the car would start. I initially thought it was a defective micro switch that puts the gearbox into park when withdrawing the key. This was obviously a long standing fault which was why the car was cheap (£2500). It didn't take long to fix.
Of course it could be something completely dfferent but it's worth checking! Any similar experiences R.T. ?

(Message approved by david_gore)