Shadow Air Filter Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow Air Filter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the Shadow air filter available from RR only, or is there an alternative? Someone here mentioned that it looks like a Donaldson filter.

Am I correct in thinking that a single unit has now replaced the old two-part air filter?

Kind regards to all

KC
www.ClassicRollsSA.co.za

Miguel A. Garcia
Prolific User
Username: magarcia

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 09:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, I use the one suplied by Introcar (www.introcar.co.uk) and by other spares stores at UK, this is the one piece paper type. MANN filters has some crro reference available in Spain too, so i think it will not be difficult to find other brand in equivalent size. Crossland has also one. If you search in the forum, will find a manteined web page with euivalences of non original spares.
regards,

Miguel

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 09:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You may look at a Crosland 9088, F9406 and compare. I understand this unit is correct and does not upset the carburation as other types often do. I have always bought genuine, but it's worth a try. And yes, they have been one-piece units from Crewe for decades, and I have only ever seen the two-piece types in the workshop manual. By contrast, the spares manuals quote part UE36200, the single-piece type, for all SY cars before the Silver Shadow II. They need quite a shove to squash them in.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 590
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 04:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a picture of the two type mesh air filters still very much in use in the UK on the SS1.
Properly maintained they are as good if not better in many ways than the paper filter elements.
A litle tip is to use some tacky filter oil after the engine oil has drained down.
With the clever cyclone air silencer the air particlulants debris is collected 100% within and below the mesh filters.

Bob your car may still have this type as yours is close on the vin numbers to mine.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 05:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The diagram is back to front yet the numbers are not back to front-- the photo is correct.

I still have this type fitted to my car SRH 17768 1974 model. Mine is the original from 1974.

This type of air filter is cleanable. Also there is a specal oil that can be applied that cause particals to stick. I believe Land Rover do some for their 4x4s when being used in very dusty conditions. The Moto cross lads also use similar.

To clean I use kerosene or deisel --- never petrol too dangerous. Any traces of kerosene or deisel will not hurt the engine providing there is not lots-- call it it a bit of upper cyliner lubrication.!

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pedant's Corner

We have been talking about two different types of air filters based on oil as the filter agent:

1. The oil bath filter widely used in Australia in the 1950's where the air cleaner comprised a cylinder filled with mesh and a quantity of light oil [about SAE10 or SAE20 if my memory is reliable] was placed in the bottom such that the engine vibration continually splashed the oil up onto the mesh to collect the dust and wash it down into the base out of harms way. These were effective in very dusty conditions but required regular maintenance to remove the muck before the accumulated dust soaked up the oil causing the splashing to cease or "caked" onto the mesh allowing dirty air to pass through into the engine.

2. Metal mesh filters such as those shown in Pat Lockyer's photo which use a special "tacky oil" coating to trap and hold dust particles on the mesh. These filters also require regular maintenance as Bob describes to wash off the accumulated dust and recoat the mesh with oil if they are to be fully effective. This type of filter is less effective in our dusty conditions as it cannot trap and hold as much dust as the oil bath filter.

Current Australian practice in regions where dust is a problem involves installation of a "cyclonic" prefilter which removes the bulk of the dust by centrifugal force followed by an oversize conventional paper element. My Toyota 4WD has such an airfilter. Heavy-duty cyclonic filters for long-haul trucks and mining equipment are made by companies such as Donaldson Filters ["Topspin" Precleaners] - for more detailed information use the link below:

http://www.donaldsonfilters.com.au/productDetail/default.asp?intT1ID=1&intT2ID=1

Hope this is of interest.

KC Saayman
Frequent User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 06 July, 2006 - 03:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for the informative answers. I am going to stick with the original filter (one-part paper type), as I don’t want to compromise on air filtration.

Regards
KC