Wind noise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Wind noise « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Tuesday, 27 June, 2006 - 05:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of late I have noticed the whistling noises from the door seals at speed had become unacceptable.

using a sheet of A4 writing paper I decided that there was not enough pinch because the rubbers have aged even though they look good.

As a stop gap I brought some self adhesive "P" shaped 10mm wide draught excluder intended for domestic applications.

I fitted this not to the door but to the body so that the door rubbers sit on the body seal.

Then to stop them sticking to each other I dusted them down with talc powder ( max factor ).

The end result is so good I think I shall leave them on permanent.

To remove them simply peel away and disolve the adhesive with white spirit.

Enough to do all 4 doors cost £5 UK..

So if anyone has a similar problem for $15 Oz a cheap fix.

(Message approved by david_gore)

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, 01 July, 2006 - 06:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shall need to take some pictures of my procedure.
Small black nylon rope run into the bottom of the gap between door and seal, held by adhesive, will return several millimeters of additional tension to the old seal on a Silver Shadow, Silver Shadow II, Silver Wraith II, Bentley T-Series and T2.
If done correctly it is not visible.
There are several Shadows running about since 1978 with this successful repair.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Tuesday, 04 July, 2006 - 03:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know what you mean I shall try that.

(Message approved by david_gore)