1968 Fixed-Head Seat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » 1968 Fixed-Head Seat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 261
Posted on Monday, 22 July, 2024 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just bought a 1968 Fixed-Head Coupe. I am very familiar with the later model Shadows, but this will be my first time "dealing" with the early models (and early coachbuilt cars);therefore, I will appreciate any help in the days ahead.

The first problem is working on the front seats which are 100% inoperable! I need to get to the motor under the front bottom cushion. I read the factory manual, but it does not help with the coachbuilt cars. The bottom cushion does not simply lift out as on my Shadows. Any help?

After I get the cushion off, any advice other than applying power directly to the motor for movement (after saturating with oil)? I want to take the complete seat out.

Again, much appreciation as I start this "journey"!!!!

Richard

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2024 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked that power is getting to and from the 8 position switches in the doors? The contacts are prone to oxidation so the first thing I would do it clean them and apply some Caig Deoxit. It's been a while since I've had a Coachbuilt Shadow in but I think you remove the trim panel at the bottom back side of the seat first. It's also likely that any areas where two pieces of leather touch each other have glued themselves together with time so careful separation might be necessary.

SRH8505 LRB15211 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2024 - 06:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Slide the seats forward and aft and remove the mounting bolts in the tracks. The motor gizmos have plastic parts that have probably disintegrated. That is what I found with mine.

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2024 - 14:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How would you "slide" the seat front/back if they are inoperable (and assuming I have no power to the seats)? I am assuming I would need to power the motor directly? IF the motor is bad when applying power to it (and you can't move the seat), how do you get to the bolts in the front/back to remove the seat?

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2024 - 15:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard...Honestly, I do not remember as it has been upwards of 25 years since I did this, discovered the broken seat motors and just decided to leave the seats in the position they were in. And you know, my memory may be playing tricks on me. Happens when you get older. Will try to remember to look at the '68 MPW FHC and that may refresh my recollection as to how things work on it. Now that I think more, the recollection may be from my '86 Spur which also had broken seat motors. Sorry for the confusion!! Oh, well...

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, 24 July, 2024 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm...got to thinking on this and sorry to say I was wrong. The recollection was from the '86 Spur. Found some photos of the MPW and its seats appear to be completely manual with a seat back that folds forward to allow access to the rear seat. No motors. Which brings up the question you asked...how to get to the motors if the seat bottom is not removable. You are sure that there are motors present but nonfunctional? Presume that they were an option, but does not reveal how access if the bottoms do not remove. Hope someone else can explain. Sorry for the inaccurate report!

Richard Greene
Frequent User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, 25 July, 2024 - 13:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian...Understand! The 68 MPW does have seat motors for the bottom cushion with a manual back release to get into the rear seat.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: