Window Lift Solenoid Brake Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Window Lift Solenoid Brake « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Williams
New User
Username: thomas_williams

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2006 - 04:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Before I start with the problem at hand, please let me say that I have searched the workshop manuals and the forum archives and not found an answer to my specific problem.

I have a 76 Silver Shadow SRE22965 in which I have installed Richard Treacy's window lift relays and they work very well and solved a lot of my problems. While installing them, I removed all the lift mechanisms, cleaned and lubricated the lifts and overhauled each motor (cleaned and installed new brushes) I installed the relays about a year ago and still had one window that would barely raise, but I was not able to diagnose the problem. Now, one of the other windows will not raise at all, although both descend rapidly. Since the motors were overhauled and tested out, I believe I have isolated the problem to the solenoid brake not releasing or partially releasing.

My questions are:

1. Is there a testing procedure for the solenoid brake? If so, what is it?

2. Is there an overhaul procedure for the solenoid brake? If so, what is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thomas Williams

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Monday, 05 June, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello there Thomas,

A little more information is needed before any useful help may be offered.

If the windows lower, then the clutches are probably fine. Before going too far, would you please measure the voltages across the motors when raising and lowering. I have attached a diagram. or two.

Which windows are giving problems ?

If the slow window is the driver's or passenger's, then suspect a bad microswitch in the driver's door or a power cable in need of replacement (broken or deteriorated). Any completely dead window may be caused by the same.

Do the relays click whenever you demand a window movement ?

RT.
Unmodified Silver Shadow:

Silver Shadow with relays:

Thomas Williams
New User
Username: thomas_williams

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 13 June, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard:

The rear window started working again as I was pulling it up by hand the 4th time. I can only assume there was an obstruction stopping it. I plan to remove the lifting mechanism and motor from the front passenger door and inspect it thoroughly and re-test the motor. I don't bleieve it is either the switch or power wire. I'll let you know what I find.

Thomas

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I got my car I found one of the brakes un bolted and cable tied to the motor.

The window worked fine as it was so I tested the brake which was working and put it back the window still works fine so I am unsure as to what purpose the brakes are actually for !

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, 16 June, 2006 - 03:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Bob, if I disconnect the motor electrically and energise the brake release on any of mine, the window lowers itself gracefully out of sight by gravity as it should. The brake is essential and no gimmick.