Corniche 1981 hood frame adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Corniche 1981 hood frame adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tennison
New User
Username: fixstuff

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2023 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can't seem to find the section of the work shop manual that covers the hood & frame.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2023 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Have you downloaded TSD4200 from the Australian Technical Library?

If not, download it using the link below:

https://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz80.html

Go to Chapter S pages S12 & S13 for the door seals - as there is no separate data for the Corniche, it is probable the Corniche door seal replacement is similar. I am assuming the door sealing is governed by the door seals and there are no separate seals on the hood itself.

The front hood seal on the Corniche windscreen frame may be similar to the door to body seals with the same replacement techniques as the doors.

Other than that, you can only hope another 1980+ Corniche owner can provide more detailed information on the hood seal configuration and replacement for you.

DIY Corniche owners are very few and far between as I found during the period I was responsible for 1973 DRH14434 - fortunately I was able to find "work arounds" for the minor problems I encountered with the DRH14434 hood (roof in my part of the world) during the time I was responsible for its maintenance.

As far as I am aware, there is no free access to specific R-R Corniche hood maintenance and repair documentation and I assume any roof service backup or training for dealers has been on a one-on-one contact basis.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 146.200.18.125
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2023 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is because it was never actually written although it appears in the index.

That was the official response I got from Crewe when asking the same question

I was advised to refer to the early Shadow manual.

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2023 - 14:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark.

Like others, I was perturbed that there was no section in TSD4200 for the Corniche. (Mine is 1978 DRH32489). In my copy of the manual (TSD4200 form the RROCA website) I printed out, I have included the Workshop Manual Chapter S, from TSD 2476 which applies to the series 1 Shadows and the Bentley T1. This is also available on the RROCA website for everyone. The little work I have done on the hood has always been covered by this chapter. I don't think there is much change from 1978 to 1981 for your car, judging from the few Corniches I have looked at over the years.

My biggest problem over the years was what I thought was the leaking seal between the roof and the windscreen surrounds. I bought a new seal from Flying Spares in 2015. There was a bit of manual cutting to do and gluing at the ends. After all that work, the thing still leaked. I talked to other Corniche owners, and no-one had the leaking problems. I tried additional sealing strips on top of the new seal. I taped up the join between the roof and the seal - again to no avail, even with the most waterproof stuff I could find. Eventually I sealed the roof all the way to the glass, and guess what?? No leaks. This wasn't really an answer because the roof couldn't be put down without going through the painful exercise of removing this heavy-duty waterproof tape. I then sealed just the windscreen itself between the metal and the glass. Again - no leaks! This showed that the seal around the window didn't seal at all and, when looking carefully, I found that there was no evidence of any sealant present. Either none was added during an earlier repair, or whatever was used, had completely failed.

I have a new windscreen seal awaiting at my friendly restorer's workshop, where the window will be taken, the metal frame prepared and repainted and the new seal installed. This should be done by February 2024. Fingers crossed!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: