Rear RAMs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rear RAMs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guido Peter Broich
New User
Username: guido

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2023 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I had the rear hydraulic pump overhauled because of extreme clicking and now I am getting some dripping from the rear system!

with a friend I did a general overhaul of levelling valves and RAMs when I got the car in 2008, but now the left levelling valve started leaking, so I got it a new set of seals.

After some 1000km now I realized that the right RAM is dripping, so I have to take it out and service it. Actually the car made some noise at that side (see other threat), probably the seals had already been in bad shape for some time.

As I said I did it in 2008 and remember only the great difficulty in getting it unscrewed the top. At that time I changed the rear springs entirely (I have an LWB SS I car). So before making some mess I would like to put some questions, very basic:

1- is there a video somewhere how to do the job?
2- after the three nuts and the bid hub screw, do I have to take the spring out from below to take the pressure off or does it still remain seated on the top?
3- if I have to take the spring off, can I lower the rear axle until it gets uncompressed or does it go too far down and I have to disconnect the axle from the wheel?

thanks

Guido

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, 01 September, 2023 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The workshop manual that is posted in the technical area below will take you thru the steps necessary to remove and overhaul the rams, eliminating the guesswork.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2023 - 13:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think Robert is referring to our free Technical Library which can be accessed on the following link:

https://rrtechnical.info/

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 838
Posted on Saturday, 02 September, 2023 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David. It's amazing when one moves the little item called a cursor over additional info tags on websites. They DO contain info.

Guido Peter Broich
New User
Username: guido

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, 10 September, 2023 - 11:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, I have this and it is fundamental. It is just that I did not well see in the pictures how it is inserted on top of the spring.
But I got some other pictures and the isnstructions from the flying spares page, so I understand that the ram comes off without touching the spring seat.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: