Rust and the defeat thereof. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rust and the defeat thereof. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2023 - 19:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently saw a post quoting that a particular type of rust-treating gloop was "the only one that really works" or similar words. In the collective opinions of the forum members what is "the only one that really works"?

I've searched here and there but couldn't find the post.

Alan D. (Who is not the only one with rusty bits on his cars.)

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2023 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I waxoyl all of my cars underneath and box sections.Spray all chrome etc with duck oil after washing in winter and after the first application of waxoyl, spray box sections and vulnerable areas with engine oil before each winter. Still get some rust !!!
Mark

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2023 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lanoguard made from lanolin in sheep's wool is a good underbody protector and does a similar but better job than Wax oil but with less mess.Once rust has taken hold the only solution is to cut out the metal section and weld in replacement metal.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 837
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2023 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,we were debating Lanoguard for a recently purchased 1958 Rover 60 which has not been treated underneath only with VERY old underseal which is largely sound. The car is very sound and original with ally panels. Do you recommend Lanoguard.
Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 540
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2023 - 12:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I use an electronic prevention method.

In my daily driver 4x4 I have a 'Counter-act'

http://www.couplertec.eu/what-is-couplertec-and-how-does-it-prevent-rust/

Link is not the same as I have but same thing.

Mine has been running for 20 + years and still

works. I dare anyone to find any rust on my Rebecca.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 837
Posted on Wednesday, 22 March, 2023 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

I used Lanoguard on my Landrover Defender chassis 3 years ago and it's holding up well. It's supposed to be reapplied once a year but I haven't got around to it yet, hopefully I will before the end of the summer but the first application is still doing its job.

I liked that it was so easy to apply with an ordinary spray bottle and the way it dried to a non-greasy surface.

Keep away from brake discs for obvious reasons.

I would definitely recommend it provided it's applied to a sound, clean surface.

Kevin Bacon
New User
Username: bacon13

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2023 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For some years I owned a ships chandlers on the East Coast of the UK. Trawlers and oil rigs in the north sea are in a far more hostile and corrosive environment than our cars.

After talking to engineers and shipwrights I decided to test products that they spoke of by painting some metal plates and leaving exposed on our building which was close enough to the harbour walls that salt spray as well as rain got to them.

This was pre the Lanoguard days, I found some products were of little use,the much vaunted WD40 being the most well known of them. Eureka Fluid Film performed well and would 'self heal' when scratched. Paints as a whole slowed rust but when scratched rusted deeply around the scratch. Oil and grease applied thickly worked quite well, almost as well as waxoyl.

I use Eureka Fluid Film for my fleet,its pretty much the same (judging by the makers descriptions) as Lanoguard. However my decision was swayed as when the chandlers closed I liberated a few drums for myself.

I was fascinated to see under the massive layers of paint on a ex naval vessel that there was little rust, impossible on a vehicle chassis though. I always apply any protection on a dry warm day, covering any damp especially on existing corrosion lets it spread fast and out of sight,

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, 03 April, 2023 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin, I wonder if sacrificial anodes would work like on a boat? As you mentioned working in a chandelers .

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, 03 April, 2023 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I started this thread, and it is just getting REALLY interesting. Keep it going.

Alan D.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cathodic protection only works when there is a electrolyte connecting the anode to the surfaces being protected.
It sort of works in boats because the hull is always under water
It won't work on cars other than galvanizing where the entire surface is coated with the anode .
Two different metals or one metal with areas of different stresses will corrode whenever it is wet .
All of the "prrofing simply provides a barrier between the metal & the water .

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 18:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor, you have just destroyed my hope of a REAL solution. In retrospect of course, it is obvious that it works that way, and would not work on a car.

So back to the Waxoil spray.

Alan D.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2566
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2023 - 05:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just spray with old sump oil lightly will stay moist with build up of road dust in summer, self healing and will not dry out and crack like some cars that are used all year round with the winter salt finding away under the cracked wax etc!
BTW on the Shadow 1 remember to remove the over rider rubber plugs to spray with oil.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2023 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few years of not doing the oil rust prevention on the brake ferrules and a few had started to rust.

Rear end all done not forgetting the compliance brillo mounts.

Front front last part nearly done and no not the exhaust pipe!

Oil mix, a small amount of acetone and paraffin, must do the wheels on the inside when time permits.

Leave car for the surplus oil drips, do it on a hot dry day.

Not bad for a nearly sixty year old car.

Kevin Bacon
New User
Username: bacon13

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 29 June, 2023 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many moons ago when I was an apprentice my firm hired a professor,an expert on corrosion to help cure a corrosion problem on some machinery. He looked like Albert Einstein,called everyone "dear boy" and packed more words into a sentance than anyone Ive met before or since.
He drove an immaculate and ancient Austin.I asked him about painting under a car with old engine oil,he said the problem was that by products of combustion in the oil made it less effective than some purpose made applications but a thick layer would delay rusting as long as it remained intact,and was what he used,

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, 30 June, 2023 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very interesting, Patrick and Kevin. So, since my pit-ramp is already marked with old oil spills (Citroen CX oil filter in difficult-to-get-at place, Bentley T similar and someone who drained a 20/25 into a funnel which had a bunch of leaves inside it) I will start using this inexpensive system.

Purpose of posting satisfied, I think.

Alan D, who will have to learn to like the smell.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: