Low coolant light, functioning sensor. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Low coolant light, functioning sensor. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Bacon
New User
Username: bacon13

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2023 - 00:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Firstly,Electrics and me just dont get on. My Shadow 2 has never had a working low coolant light. It illuminates during test (key held over in Drive). With the white box removed from the car and connected to a slave battery (as per posts on this forum) a test lamp connected to the feed terminal and earth lights if the sensor wire and one from earth are placed in water and goes off when they are removed. But when pushed back in its holder the light is off with ignition on and wire disconnected at probe. The wire is not shorted to earth. Connecting a temporary feed of 12v into the lamp feed does nothing, so Im guessing there is another relay in the line from unit to light?.
Any ideas ?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2023 - 07:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You may have already read this document, but since I can't be sure, download: UD19427 Rolls-Royce/Bentley Coolant Level Amplifier Repair

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Friday, 17 March, 2023 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

I repaired my coolant level amplifier using your excellent document, however if you look at the circuit diagram it is clear in test mode the amplifier is automatically checked. The warning lamp is switched by a transistor in the coolant amplifier. Since Kevin has said the the coolant level light illuminates during test (key held over in Drive) it means the amplifier is most likely ok. IMO it would be best to look elsewhere in this perplexing problem. Of course it may still be the amplifier, but I'd rule out all other possibilities before going to the lengths of rebuilding the amp.

amp

Kevin Bacon
New User
Username: bacon13

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 18 March, 2023 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much for the replies. I now have a working coolant indicator (although not quite sure how).
I removed the amplifier from its housing and fixed it close by. I ran a seperate wire from the 12V feed it originally used to the amplifier,and a new earth wire to the metal of the dashboard.I then connected the probe with a seperate wire from amplifier to the socket previously used by the amplifier. The warning light supply from the amplifier is connected to a miniature 12volt Piezo buzzer which is earthed again on the dashboard.(no matter what I did,even supplying a feed to the lamp I could not get it to light).
Removing a wire (or presumably draining some coolant causes the buzzer to sound)
On test (key held over in Drive) the buzzer sounds (and the light comes on!) It also gives a quick buzz on starting the engine.
All the mods are reversible if ever I feel inspired to have another look.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: