Hydraulic pump spanner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Hydraulic pump spanner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Rowson
New User
Username: arowson

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 02 March, 2023 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to try and make the special castellated spanner needed to unscrew the hydraulic pumps from the top of the engine.
If someone could send me a photograph of the end of the spanner looking towards the castellations, I would be eternally grateful.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2550
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2023 - 03:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope this will help

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2023 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kelly Opfar makes them at a reasonable $105 USD, at www.britishtoolworks.com

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2023 - 04:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure exactly what you are asking for since I don't own any Shadows, but Kelly Opfar at British Tool works sells a tool for pump removal. Here is a link to his site. He is a member here.

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/brake-pump-socket

Alan Rowson
New User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 03 March, 2023 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Patrick, the pictures are perfect. Much appreciated.
Looks like you had a broken pump spring. That's what I hope I have got, or I guess it is a broken push rod.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Saturday, 04 March, 2023 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan yes my progressive pump failing was the pump spring.

One tell-tell sign was the pump tapping on startup with the longer time of rear suspension obtaining the trim height setting.

Here in the UK I find Introcar very good with many quality OE parts.

https://www.introcar.com

Alan Rowson
New User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 05 March, 2023 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, I also use Introcar and find them very good, as is Flying Spares also. One interesting point, last time I was in UK, I went to Introcar to pick up some parts and there was a Flying Spares van there, also collecting parts! If it's not too much trouble for you, would you be able to measure the bore diameter of your special tool. This will just help to confirm the measurements I have just made on the castellated nut. Thanks & Best Regards, Alan.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2552
Posted on Monday, 06 March, 2023 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan, the bore size is 37.35mm the o/d is 41.30mm
Hope this helps.

Alan Rowson
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2023 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick. I was able to make a my version of the special tool. 1¼" schedule 40 steel tube is very close. I had some bored out to 37mm and made 2 x ¼" lugs which fitted the castellated nut nicely. Unfortunately it is very tight and I cannot loosen it, even with a 3' bar on the spanner.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4183
Posted on Sunday, 12 March, 2023 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Try soaking the base of the pump with a mix of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone for several days before trying to remove the pump.

For your safety, do this in a well-ventilated location and keep naked flames/sparks well away for obvious personal safety reasons.

Be patient and several repeat applications may be needed to finally release the pump from its housing.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2553
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2023 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan, did you use a heavy duty "T" bar, for equal loading on the tool castellations.
IMO give it a try with longer "T" bar tubes, be careful of the extensions hitting the screen when it hopefully lets go.
On coming undone it went with a load bang goodness knows what the torque was needed to free it.

This is the link to when I carried out mine=

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/42474.html?1644777681

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, 13 March, 2023 - 05:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/42474.html?1644777681

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: