Running rich on a Shadow2 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Running rich on a Shadow2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Bacon
New User
Username: bacon13

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1980 shadow 2. After 18months of work I have it running and driving fine apart from one issue.
The car starts quickly even if left for days in freezing temperatures. Driving it away presents no problems, but let it idle for a minute or so and it wets the plugs.
The choke flap when cold pretty much seals the opening, almost air tight. Its not stuck,the fast idle mechanism is free and works and the choke opens properly as the engine warms.
Is there a setting to hold the flap so it doesnt choke the engine as much?

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 368
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Figure K28 in the manual shows how to adjust the closed position of the butterfly. That assumes the problem is not elsewhere - bad needle valve in a float chamber or a hundred other possibilities

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check the magnetic solenoid on the choke is not staying energised. On my Shadow 1 and my S1, the choke is quite slow to come off, even after the fast idle has kicked out. Check the stove tube in the exhaust manifold is not blocked and the stove pipes to the choke are clear. Platinum or Iridium plugs also helped. Mark

Kevin Bacon
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Figure K28 in my manual shows how to adjust the fuel pump points. Presumably different manuals.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You do not have a fuel pump issue.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 815
Posted on Saturday, 14 January, 2023 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fancy plugs will not help an issue that exists. I would double check the float setting and make sure the carb floats actually float.

Kevin Bacon
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2023 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know I don't have a fuel pump issue. Floats, needles and plugs etc are correct. The vehicle drives well, my issue is with a choke flap that when set by pressing the pedal pretty much seals off the intake..

Kevin Bacon
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 15 January, 2023 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just found that the Fig 28 referred to by an earlier answer is actually in a early Shadow manual. The choke mechanism on my Shadow 2 is somewhat different as is the workshop manual,however the basic principle would seem to be very similar.
Thanks for the replies.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: