Sagging rear end. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Sagging rear end. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2006 - 02:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Strange one to-day.
As i use the SS11 every day the rear trim hieght is allways standing at its correct hieght.
To-day however the rear end was sagging lower than usual.
Has not made any difference with a full LPG load or empty in the past.
On starting and a short run up all is back to normal with normal ride hieght.
Question, what is the normal length of time for the cars suspension to stay up before they settle on the springs.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, 24 April, 2006 - 07:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat,

The time for the rams to collapse [leak down] allowing the body mass to rest on the springs seems to be unique to each car and is most probably related to the overall condition of the hydraulic system especially the height control valves.

In your case, if this is a one-off experience, my guess would be that a small piece of foreign matter might have affected a seal providing a path for the fluid to leak back to the reservoir. If the fluid leak flushed the foreign matter away there should not be a recurrence; if there is a recurrence then the seal/valve body itself may be scored or the foreign matter is firmly embedded in the seal. In this situation, I would be stripping the valves down to see if there is a problem to avoid scoring the valve body to the point it is beyond reconditioning.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 559
Posted on Sunday, 07 May, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David how right you are, this was a one off.
The car has been clocking up many miles with no further occurance.
Rest assured i will keep a watchful eye the next morning after use.

bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.3.64.11
Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2006 - 05:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny you should mention one off.

Normally when I start my car first thing No1 pressure light is out.

The other day I went to start it and the light was on.

First thing I thought was that overnight the accumulator had failed.

Started engine and it went out after a minute.

Stopped the engine pumped the pedal about 50 times no lights.

Following day car back to normal.

I reckon a bit foreign matter was stuck somewhere- one off.

No2 light is always on because my rear springs have sagged causing the ride height to be working all the time.

If I turn the engine off and sit in the car it causes the suspension to move as I move ( waiting for the wife to do the shopping)

This causing the hydraulics to try to maintain the hieght and in turn this depletes No2 hydraulic pressure in the accumulator and the lights comes on after about an hour.

If I leave the car and don't distub anything it last about 4 hours.

(Message approved by david_gore)