Restoration work,..... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Restoration work,..... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, 09 May, 2022 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

In the coming months I m going to be undertaking a MAJOR refurbishment of Camilla.

This will include the following:

Restoration of the Veneer.
Fixing the clock. (adjustment broken)
Restoration/replacement of top roll.
replacing seals and servicing vents and mechanism.
Replacing Wilton carpets.
Restoration of leather seats.
Replacing interior light globes with LEDs.
Replacing clearance and fog light globes with LEDs.
Removing radiator, stripping, cleaning, reinstalling.
Fixing small leak in power steering system.
Servicing Transmission.
Re chroming bright work.
Full repaint.
Fix speed control.
Fix rear leveling system. (currently disconnected.)
What I am undecided about is this:
Do I put on another everflex or do I just do the roof in the same color?
Do I paint the roof the same color as the everflex?

I can't seem to decide,....

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, 09 May, 2022 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, unless the chrome, woodwork, paint and roof are poor, I would think hard before replacing as you will loose the "patina" and character of the car . I had a major refurb of my Shadow following an accident 11 years ago and it looked fabulous but I was reluctant to use it and I felt it had lost character. Many UK cars are now restored with faded paintwork, wear created seats and carpets etc to stop the rebuild looking new. ( My son works for a major pre war Bentley restorer doing this type of work ) The self levelling is to my mind a" must repair".
Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, 09 May, 2022 - 20:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The anticipated work you describe will cost more than the car is worth. Full re-spray is quite expensive. To re-do the Everflex one must strip not only the material and center pad, the surface must be sanded down, primed and then top color coated. Every square inch of surface under the Everflex has adhesive residue and it must be removed. You cant't stop at a primer coat since there is a strong possibility the adhesive will react and turn the project into a disaster. The Everflex was applied at the factory over finished surfaces.
Only repair/replace what is absolutely necessary.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, 09 May, 2022 - 23:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham I have a similar debate with my S1 which was repainted in 1980 and has had corrosion damage corrected since, but is badly microblistered. A full repaint will cost £20k if I strip it and the view of my Son ( who is a car restorer; instrument magneto and mechanical) , Wife and bodyshop is the the car will lose its "patina and charm" I was therefore talked out of the project and now just polish the microblisters !! and enjoy the car.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Let me see if I can explain why I'm looking at doing
What I have listed.

Everflex:

You can see the blister,... thats a rust spot flaking, I want to deal with that before it becomes a hole in the roof.

Paint:

At the bottom of the front windscreen and rear window are these cracks on all four corners,...

Also there is this blistering between the bonnet and the A pillar,...
I'm told its corrosion between the different metals and its under the paint.

And this on the bonnet,..

Then there is the orange peel,...

This is above the left rear wheel arch.

There is a smaller patch between the filler cap and rear lights.

Between the rear bumper an boot corners is this over spray,....

With the orange peel an over spray I'd say she was hit in the rear at some point but she is all good so I'd say she got scratched bad and the repair was'nt up to par.

I figured since the everflex will have to come off to do the repair under it I may as well fix everything at once and be done with it.

There are a couple of stone chips that have gone down to the undercoat as well so instead of multiple patched repairs, do the whole thing.

The bright work has scratches in it where somebody has used something harsh to clean it at some point so if I am doing the paint, may as well bring the bright work up to the paintwork.

Can I still get everflex if I want to have it?

Because I have a stuck vent and it lets water in in heavy rain, I have worn carpet in the drivers foot well so I want to replace it.

I don't know when the sheep skin seat covers if ever have been removed since fitted but since the seats will be removed to fit the carpets may as well feed and restore the leather seats.

Anyway, thats my thinking,...

Graham.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everflex is available. I have restored many including those with minor splits and re-sprayed with SEM products, including matching the grain. The cracked areas are quite common due to leaded areas from the factory.
You will save alot by stipping the finish after removing the trim.
The bumper chrome is simply stamped steel in the form of 90 degrees and held onto the reinforcement bar with 4 rivets. One must also remove the rub strip and corners.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 03:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
you are looking at a bill exceeding US40,000 to do all of that. Also the work will take at least 6 months - maybe a year.
You may wish to reconsider changing the scope to get a good overall outcome without the potential anguish that is in the pipeline.
All the best
Omar

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, the body cracks are possibly due to body flex and the leaded joints. Very Very common in the UK on Shadows and S series to a much lesser extent. Cure will probably be to burn out the lead and relead from scratch, a slow and very skilled job. Cost of all of your proposed works I would estimate more than Omar with few shops in the UK capable of carrying out the work to an exacting standard and they will have long waiting times. Also when the paint is stripped, how much poor repair work or corrosion will be discovered ? My Shadow cost a third of Omars figure to do Chrome and bottom half strip and repaint 11 years ago after a minor accident.
Graham, the car looks lovely as it is I would find the decision very difficult.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2313
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 04:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was reading through the list and thinking quite a few enjoyable weekends here, until I read "full repaint". Wow, that's a huge undertaking, particularly with a replacement everflex roof. Don't be fooled by the ease with which Robert and Jim carry out this work - it's difficult and hugely labor intensive. Or, if you get a shop to do the work - $$$$$$.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, will you be doing this yourself, having someone do it for you, or a combination of both ?

It's not quite clear.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
We all agree that your car can benefit from some additional work and between us we can guide you towards a scope that will be achievable, cost effective and manageable. The overall outcome would be a very beautiful transformation without the doomsday potential.
Thanks
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is what I would do if it was my car

I would leave the Veneer alone.
Fix / Replace the clock. (adjustment broken)
Restoration/replacement of top roll.
replacing seals and servicing vents and mechanism.
Replacing Wilton carpets.
Restoration of leather seats.
Replacing interior light globes with LEDs.
Replacing clearance and fog light globes with LEDs.
Removing radiator, stripping, cleaning, reinstalling.
Fixing small leak in power steering system.
Servicing Transmission.
Re chroming or possibly replace bright work with good used parts over the course of say 2 years.
Touch up repairs to body work.
Fix speed control.
Fix rear leveling system. (currently disconnected.)
Paint the roof the same colour as the car

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I was going to have this work done by UK motors.
They do restorations etc.

Camilla is a UK car that was brought down here by her original owner.

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will they let you do any prep work and/or any of the disassembly/reassembly ?

I'm not sure if you're into any DYI though, but if it was my car, I would want to be there when the body was being worked on.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Jeff, I come from family of engineers.

I can take a vehicle apart and putt it back in better condition.

I do all my own servicing and work.

The only time I get/let others work on my vehicles is if I don't have a special tool or equipment to do it myself.

But given the scale and extent of what I am looking at doing I'm happy to let Tony at UK motors do this one for me,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 15:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The reason I'm doing the veneer,...

This is why I want it all refinished.

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The veneer looks OK, just the finish is shot.
A heat gun is needed to remove it.

I did this sort of thing on the side off and on, I can help you with it.
A two part auto clear coat works best for a new finish.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 779
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, interesting that you use auto 2 pack . I am just renovating the caps on my Mulsanne S and was debating whether to use auto paint or 2 pack yacht varnish. Will go with auto paint as it is easier to apply.
Graham, the damage on your door caps is fairly typical and on the cap end is probably caused by seatbelt removal. The chip in the dash looks more challenging as from the photo a small piece of veneer will need to be let in where the chip is. May be a job for a furniture restorer unless you are into marquetry.
Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, 10 May, 2022 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Proper veneer chip replacement is not to add a veneer chip, it will never match. Professionals actually fill in the chip, colorize it and draw in any grain, lines etc to get an exact match.
Also, to achieve the glass smooth finish it is wet sanded and buffed to achieve the gloss. The deep gloss is all about light reflection from a very flat surface.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2022 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So here is the auto pack of a Wraith I did for a friend, no veneer here, it was all solid English Walnut.
The centre piece in the dash was replaced with American Walnut as I could not source the correct wood. The original was so butchered from red-neck holes, it could not be saved, it was very warped as well.
I used the clear coat to fill the grain, I don't like grain fillers, they have a tendency to shrink. There may be one out there that works, but I find using the clear as a grain filler makes for a deeper wetter finish.
I put on 2 or 3 layers and give that a good month to cure in a warm environment and then cut it back, if necessary I do it it again until the grain is filled, and then another 2 or 3 top coats, then start blocking and polishing.
I find anything more then that, the thinner can't gas out and air bubbles appear.

I use Mohawk transparent stain on the top of the door caps to tint the somewhat mundane mahogany on SS's, either stain it directly or I tint the clear with it.
Others just leave the wood as it is, it looks sort of OK, but sometime there is a greyish coloured sap wood in there _ and that doesn't look good.
Pretty sure RR tinted the door caps, I don't think the dark finish oxidized with age.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 822
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2022 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would go along with the suggestion to do away with the everflex roof covering and to paint the roof to match the rest of the body. Front and rear windscreens will need to be removed and new seals fitted on replacement. The rear windscreen can easily break when being pushed out.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2022 - 02:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Larry,
In such cases - we always cut the old rubber to ease the screens out without fear of breaking them.
Thanks
Omar

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, 12 May, 2022 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like Omar
run a stanley knife right round the windscreen to remove most of the outer side.

trying to save the rubber is a waste of time as it will not seal to a new windscreen properly.
Warm the rubber with a hot air gun on the lowest setting from a good distance away till the rubber gets a little soft.
Then run the brake away rope / wire from the inside to the outside.
Now 2 people will be required to run the rope fully around the screen to break the adheasion between the glass & rubber
The screen should now press out very easily from the top
Use some 2 x 4 with a towel run around it to apply presssure to the windscreen over a wide area

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2022 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear me, IMO a restoration job of this magnitude with what is listed is going to be a horrific amount of cost and that does not take into account the mechanicals auto box, brakes and the engine.

Hydraulic tappets noise or pumps, re

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwWL1KYrc8I

IMO better to buy a low mileage sunny weather used car with less than a hundred + plus miles.

IF you were closer you could have my SS2 with under 50,000 mile recorded from new.
Just started up with the eleven year old battery on LPG.

IMO no ugly fog lights dangling below the bumper, re fitted in the in conjunction with the reverse lights many years ago.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, 16 May, 2022 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham didn't fall off a vegetable truck yesterday, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's getting into.

Better the Devil you know, then the Devil you don't.

One step at a time Graham, little jobs get the big one done _ but I don't have to tell you that.

Today I'm going to replace the Ever-flex top and be done by dinner.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

My Camilla is a home market built car.

Is this fog light switch factory fitted?

It looks aftermarket to me.

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 781
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, the switch is odd, but the light looks correct. Maybe it has had a replacement switch. Breakdown was unfortunate, but happens to all of us at somepoint. I have reversing lights that wont turn off this weekend ! Will have to take the bulbs out to drive tonight.
mark

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 782
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, The switch is similar to my S1 HRW and my Shadow1 Rear fogs. The surround is more like my previous Spirit ( an early car) so it could well be correct on a Shadow 2
Mark

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,
I found in my paperwork that Yorke motors recommended this product for the everflex roof.
I've been using it and I think it's great.
Nice and shiny in the sun but can be wiped with a cloth for a more matt finish.
I reckon it's a natural beeswax so good for beading water when in wet conditions.
My roof is original and yes there are a couple of small tears but the stuff is doing its job in my opinion.
Cheers Eric Jay el

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is LRH32854 after Jay el applied to the ever flex roof.

LRH32854

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 783
Posted on Sunday, 22 May, 2022 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When Everflex cars left the factory, a wax-like substance was used on the seams to help seal against the ingress of water.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2022 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Original Shadow 2 fog light switch looks like this

Modified fog light in reverse light!

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, 23 May, 2022 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Patrick: Thats the switch I want, it looks better.

Graham.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: