Got a set of Vietnamese bumpers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Got a set of Vietnamese bumpers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jansberg
New User
Username: mikemjp

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 05 May, 2022 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Recieved a set of the Vietnamese produced stainless steel bumpers today.
850.- US $ (+230.- in freight)
Web: www.bumperautomobile.com

Even better surface finish than I had hoped for
Hope the fit will be half as good.

Parcel:
box

So far I haven't found any flaws in the finish.
b1

Backside is just painted silver.
b3

Can hardly wait to assemble, but still some parts at the paint shop.
b3

Wheels at the blaster, hope to get it on the road next year.
rr1

Just back from the paint shop, after looking at Peacock, Seycelles blue and several other paint tests, we ended up choosing Ford Performance blue 2007 (have allready erased from my mind that its a Ford Focus colour ).
rr2

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2022 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Amazing job Michael.
Please keep the photos coming - looks like you are doing a splendid job.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2022 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fabulous restoration.

Please let us know how good the fit is when they're on the car. I've seen aftermarket stainless steel bumpers before, but yours look like they've been chrome plated, which is much better - great price as well.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2022 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm confused.

(1) Stainless steel.
(2) Chrome plated.
(3) Back painted silver.

?????

Alan D.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 06 May, 2022 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar and Geoff, I am missing a few things still at the paint shop, but the bumpers will be some of the first things to be fitted, the originals were rusted through in the corners as usual and had several dents and scuffs.

Alan, They seem to be made of 304 SS and not chromed and I guess the paint is to cover the blueing from welding the fittings on the inner side, maybe not as elegant as using acid or blasting, but ok since it can't be seen.

PS. about stainless steel, I made among a lot of SS sculptures for my father in the 80's, largest was this:
https://skulpturguide.dk/skulpturer/thors-hammer.html

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, 07 May, 2022 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote: "PS. about stainless steel, I made among a lot of SS sculptures for my father in the 80's, largest was this:

https://skulpturguide.dk/skulpturer/thors-hammer.html"

Wow!

Alan D.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 488
Posted on Sunday, 08 May, 2022 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Michael. I guess thats one you can hang your hat on!??

;)

Graham.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 08 May, 2022 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looked pretty miserable going to the paint shop.
Original Walnut metallic brown had a similar W. brown respray + gold sides, that were then covered with beige paint, sigh....
rr_p3

rr_p1

The guys at the shop were pretty tired of it, apart from the roof, allmost all surfaces had to be cleaned down to the metal surface.
rr_p2

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 869
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow! What an improvement! A thing of beauty (and quality) is a joy once again!
Keep the photos coming.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2022 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fitted the front Bumper last weekend.

The fit was ok on the left side with only a thin shim behind the outermost bracket to angle the bend up.

On the right side it was a bit worse, both brackets welded on the inside of the Bumper were angled severely wrong, a shim here would be nearly impossible, instead I drilled and threaded a 6mm hole, this was much better than the shim solution I used on the left, since it gave me an easy way to fine adjust the Bumpers alignment.

Otherwise the brackets were correctly spaced and fitted quite well, the thread in the brackets are 3/8 UNC instead of UNF used originally.
I only used 2 of the connecting holes between the Bumper parts, since the angle of these plates weren't quite enough, I could probably have used them and just tightened them up.

b1

b2

b3

b4

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2022 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I like the color,...

Graham.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like you are on the final stages of the restoration. It looks great. Thanks for putting up the pics.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 873
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2022 - 04:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like the color; wonder how close it is to Ford Kona Blue as in revival Mustangs of a few years ago?
My 1970 is Seychelles blue.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The last 10% takes 90% of the time!
We need pics of it on the road :-)

Graham Burn
New User
Username: grahamburn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 15 September, 2022 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow Michael that's impressive, I'm doing similar to my Turbo R in Larkspur, still got a lot of small bodywork patches to weld in though before I can get it into paint!
Graham

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2022 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the comments , here is a small update, not that much has happened since last, but we still hope to get it on the road next year as planned.

The Bonnet has to go to the paintshop again, its not visible on the pics, but the transitions from clean sanded plate to the old paint were painfully visible.

On the rear the Bumper fit was correct, no spacers needed like on the front.
Only remark is that the middle of the Bumper seems to cover the number plate lights a bit more than the original Bumper, but I think that the plate will be illuminated ok.

Randy. I don't know about the Kona colour, we had test cards made by the paint shop of Seychelles, Peacock rev. 1-3, Ford Performance 2007, Ford kinetic 2015 and Ford Mustang Velocity blue 2020.

We chose the Form Performance 2007, since the RR colours seemed a bit too dark in our opinion and the Ford Velocity was too bright.
The Kinetic had a bit more green in it compared to the Performance and would have been our second choice.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2022 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I actually love seeing people repaint these cars in colors that suit them that may not be RR original, or even close to those colors.

Although I didn't repaint it myself, SRH33576 started out life in Walnut, and one of her prior owners elected to do a repaint in Range Rover Cranberry Ice (I think, I'd have to dig out the documentation to be sure of that name) that is vastly superior to the original. It is close to one of the RR original colors in that range, though.

I'd love to have the Corniche that once belonged to HIH the Princess Shams (of Iran) in a bespoke purple from the factory, and with a cloth interior as well, which I love (and many despise):

HIH The Princess Shams Corniche Right Side

HIH The Princess Shams Corniche Interior

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: