Blinkers on the Blink Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Blinkers on the Blink « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2022 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,
After a successful weekend of rebuilding my first ACV and replacing my Accumulator Sphere (disposable) my indicators now do not work.
I hear the flasher unit click 2 to 3 times but lights on dash and on car do not light up. But when i turn on the Hazard lights all work as supposed too.
I have purchased a new flasher unit but makes no difference.
With a test light i have power to the flasher unit plugs and all fuses are good. Have cleaned all bulbs and checked wiring in the light sockets all looks good. It may be something in the stalk but i have no idea about that. When bench tested flasher units with a battery they both work, old and new units.
Any help would be appreciated or its of to the Auto Electrician. Whilst i was bleeding the brakes i was in the rat trap and cleaned up with brake cleaner i noticed a switch but surely that's for the brakes.
Cheers Eric.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2022 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Switch in rat trap is for the brake lights. There are 2 flasher units, one for the indicators and the other for the hazards. Is it possible that you only checked the old & new hazard flasher unit?

Eric Molenaar
New User

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2022 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HI Larry,
I did realise the two separate circuits and flasher units. My hazards are working but the directional indicators are not. The flasher unit clicks a couple of times but no illumination on the arrow lights or any of the lights come on at the 4 corners of the car.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The directional flasher is a thermal type. They can be opened and inspected. The contact points may have to be cleaned and reset for optimum contact.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Indicator stalk missing a feed!

Thermal flasher is working a few clicks, tells me a break in the feed to stalk.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Graham.

Eric Molenaar
New User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Graham
If it was only that easy.
Cheers Eric

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 15:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

I know its an old joke but somebody had to do it!

;)

Graham.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How about when engine running?
Mike

Eric Molenaar
New User

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, 22 February, 2022 - 22:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael,
It makes no difference if engine is on or not.
I definitely think its to do with the stalk, maybe a bad earth but it goes to an auto electrician on Thursday. Hopefully he finds the problem.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, 23 February, 2022 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,
Question. .What did you do with the single wire that would have gone to the accumulator sensor?.
It's a long shot...but if you were to connect an earth wire to same ( temporarily ) (assuming it's earth ie negative ) it might in some strange way sort your indicator problem?

Eric Molenaar
New User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hubert,
Theres a wire?
Will have to get under the car and have a look.
I must of disturbed something when changing the accumulator but didn't recall seeing a wire (earth).
Thanks for the insight.
Cheers Eric

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, apologies your car is probably a shadow 2, the early shadows had a sensor at the accumulator. Sorry about that.

Eric Molenaar
New User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, 24 February, 2022 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Resolution,
The auto sparkie came out today tested all fuses with test light as I did,flasher unit was working intermediatley but no lights on dash or 4 corners.
He then delved deeper and there were wires every where (full credit to the young bloke) I'd be well out of my depth there so I was inside looking through workshop manual, copying wiring diagrams and looking for any tid bits.
Then pop, we blew the fuse for the directional indicators put a new one in and hey presto fixed.
Turns out the resistance was all wrong and that was giving a good test light but not strong enough for the lights to illuminate under load.(I think that's what he said)
I should of listened to my old mate who said "change the fuse with the one beside it" but I knew better my test light said it was OK.
Now $150 poorer but learnt a valuable lesson.
Cheers Eric

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 819
Posted on Friday, 25 February, 2022 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It might be a good idea to clean all the fuse board contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

Lord Paul Johnson
New User
Username: lordpauljohnson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 24 October, 2022 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Shadow 1 1974. What fuse runs the flashers and the hazards as both of mine are not working.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 372
Posted on Tuesday, 25 October, 2022 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the pull out card missing from the fuse door? If so you can print off a copy from the workshop manual.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: