Manual Choker conversion. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Manual Choker conversion. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jansberg
New User
Username: mikemjp

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 02:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since I have always disliked auto Choker systems and the hot air pipes were in pretty bad shape, I decided to make a manual conversion.

Still some finish to do, but it works smoothly now, material 2mm galvanized steel plate.

There is an air hole near to where the Choker axle comes out, that must be plugged.

choke1

choke2

choke3

handle

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

nice job Michael

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 817
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great job Michael. With the bi-metal coil becoming increasingly difficult to find, this may become a common feature on our cars in the future.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not bad, but I would have mounted it under the dash as it is alongside the console in view

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

GREAT, Michael! Could you provide where you got the cable & bracket? It would also be nice if you tell us how/where you routed the cable into the cabin. Pics of the routing would be awesome! Is that enough request? Much appreciation!

Richard

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think he made the brackets by hand.
We'll see.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 738
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 23:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good job, I hate auto chokes too, but I would have used a solderless nipple on the bracket instead of just a dogleg in the cable.

Michael Jansberg
New User
Username: mikemjp

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 20 February, 2022 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Handle placement isn't optimal, but the Car is going to the paintshop soon and without a working Choker, they would have too much trouble starting it. Might change its position during assembly.

Hand made from pieces of 2 mm steel plate, laser cut stainless would be a lot nicer

The Cable I used is from a Scandinavien auto parts supplier, it does have very smooth action, seems to be made with a nylon/teflon liner (app. 10 $)

temp

https://www.biltema.dk/bil---mc/bilreservedele/karosseri/karosseritilbehor/kontrolwire-2000017971

A nipple was what I first thought to use, hence the larger hole, but the dogleg works quite well.

Placement of Cable, it goes forward to get a pull of the handle to close the Choke, then turns 180 behind the Thermostat and goes through the Firewall, app. 5 cm left of the Steering column seen from inside of Car.

routing

Btw. I fitted an aftermarket Temp gauge during assembly, drilled a hole and tapped it for the Sensor in the massive part in the front of the Thermostat, no hole into the water channels and with a bit of white silicone heat transfer paste there does not seem to be any delay in the readings.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Monday, 21 February, 2022 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe Just maybe I would fit a return spring to make sure the choke butterfly does not work its self from the fully off position when running!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: