Psychedelic or series II? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Psychedelic or series II? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 466
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2022 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Yeah I'll just leave this here,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIqj3v8Im4

Graham.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Thursday, 27 January, 2022 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I absolutely love it.......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bit too bright for me Omar

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Meh...!

Nothing new here, it's become tiresome seeing things like this.

It's too bad really, if my assumption of the original colour is correct inside the door, then they should have started with a car that was a little more rough before they destroyed a good one.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree 100%

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, 29 January, 2022 - 03:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Jeff.
Boring, tiring and so 1970s

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, 29 January, 2022 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the reasons why I never joined the RROC here in Sydney was the attitude that the club was in control of what I was allowed to do to and use my vehicle for.
It is their car they bought it so they can do what ever they want with it
Weather I like or approve of what they have done means nothing unless I am so offended that I would be willing to buy it from then and return it to the factory delivered condition.

Like Skyhooks some people love the idea of living in the 70's and quite frankly if I had the options of living forever in the 70 or forever in the 20's ( as in 2020 ) then give me to 70's any day of the week .

Are we all not playing Jethro Tull & "Living In The Past" , if not the we would have dumped our 70's Shadows for current models .

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, 29 January, 2022 - 11:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not a purist but I do find that paint job to be hard on the eyes. I've seen a couple of Silver Shadow pick-ups and thought they looked great.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 733
Posted on Saturday, 29 January, 2022 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Analog audio and 70's here any day, every day

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 00:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would love it ! Great fun

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

She appears to be suffering from saggy bum syndrome.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed - which means the height control isn't working or is badly adjusted. Also the windscreen wipers appear to have lost their reverse park function. Apart from that it looks good - except for the paintwork which, in my view, ruins the line of the car.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Standing height of a Shadow is based on the springs only. The active ride height is adjusted by the height control to keep the output shafts somewhat level when there is a load in the boot or passengers in the rear seat. The trunnions can wear prematurely if not level.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paint work, it’s a wrap!
Sagging rear end could maybe the rear hydraulic pump failing or brake fluid restriction with a common failed dash warning light circuit 2

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A wrap... I don't have that knot in my gut anymore.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3259
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert J. Sprauer wrote: Standing height of a Shadow is based on the springs only. The active ride height is adjusted by the height control to keep the output shafts somewhat level when there is a load in the boot or passengers in the rear seat. The trunnions can wear prematurely if not level.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

The height control system is one of the most misunderstood on these cars, and every word you say is true.

If the car is unladen aft, the height control system does not enter the picture, and that's even with "slightly tired" springs.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(the height control system does not enter the picture)

However it does as the above video shows due to the cars trim height when being driven.
Sagging rear end!

The trunnions can also wear prematurely if the oil level is not checked on a regular basis.
Oil can also leak back into Diff!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 735
Posted on Sunday, 30 January, 2022 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is only 150ml of oil in the trunnion boots in the first place. They have to be filled manually thru the screwed in plug on the trunnion housing. There will always be fluid captivated in the boot itself and will not flow back into the boot as you suggest. The holes are very small at the final drive for that reason. If the holes were bigger to allow more of an ebb and flow condition, coupled with split boots, it would drain fluid and compromise the rear diff itself.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Monday, 31 January, 2022 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These cars often have sagging rear ends, and that's due to slightly tired springs.

The height control system needs to have "sufficient downward sag" before it kicks in, and it's entirely possible for a car with tired springs not to reach that level. SRH33576 was one such car, where nothing was wrong with the height control system, and it worked when manually activated or the car was laden in the rear, but did not activate due strictly to slightly saggy springs.

Thus, the height control system still does not enter the picture, weak springs do.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(These cars often have sagging rear ends, and that's due to slightly tired springs.)

Rubbish, Only when parked up for a few days will it start to sagg with weaker springs and that is probably due to the solenoid valve restrictor failing but all Shadow cars will drop from the set trim height if not used for long periods.

Once the engine is started the self leveling lifts the car to the set trim height, open a door and the system goes into fast speed mode keeping the car level as passengers clime aboard or exit.

The leveling system will even compensate for the fuel/ LPG weight being used on a trip.

FYI, to help you, as the load lightens the correctly working system will keep the car always to the set trim on each individual side, also regardless of an over/under weight fat or skinny bum.
Looks like your car is not setup correctly.

This is not the case when heavy duty springs are fitted as they keep the rear height level when parked, in most cases the fitment (cheap fix) is carried out when the leveling system has failed completely and will not compensate with various loads.
The Shadow running in the video is certainly dragging its ass.

Hope this will help you getting your car set up correctly.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Nothing you ever say is meant to help.

I know whereof I speak, and so does the actual documentation from Crewe. And that documentation says precisely what I have said - that the height control system should not activate if the rear of the car is unladen and that it does not kick in for fuel weight alone.

You're just as pompous, and wrong, as always.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 736
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The standing or showroom height, per factory, is measured with the hydraulics at zero pressure or electrically disconnected. The rear rams were never designed to be under pressure when standing still and only used for compensation of loads.
Cal West, the factory technical point person explains this in The Shadows Corner, a compilation of article he has written from 1986 to 1989.
Can't argue with the facts. Understand this is not a Citroen which has full active leveling.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's the article

application/pdf
EPSON002.PDF (83.0 k)

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will not agree or disagree with any of the posts above (it might generates uncivil replies) but consider this:-

Imagine a Shadow used exclusively for pleasure trips. It spends 95% of its mileage on continental tours with a family of four plus loads of luggage for a month of sightseeing. During all these thousands of miles the height control system is active. The other 5% is spent on visiting places to get the stuff for the holidays.

Is it OK that the car should have the HCS working for practically the whole time? I think Rolls Royce would have said that is OK.

I will not reply to abusive comments, but will take an interest in the replies. Incidentally mine is set up as the book says, but it was not for a long time, it relied on the HCS, and it had no problems stemming from that.

I'm suggesting that it doesn't really matter either way, as long as the running height is correct.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whilst agreeing in principle with Robert, the self levelling does compensate for weak springs when running and also for the potential 240 lb change in fuel load. We excecise the self levelling rams by sitting in the boot, when the car has not been used for a period, with the engine running ( gear selector isolated !!!) and the door open. My car has run with the levelling tweaking the ride height for 25 years.
Years ago when it was used daily on country roads, I used to set the hcv so that the rear ran slightly high, to improve ground clearance.
Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The springs are approx 22" in height. They were sourced in Scotland and suffered from variations. A small variation would yield differences in height, hence the spacers.
Some springs were marked with a brush of white paint to indicate a slightly stronger spring, but they ultmately softened after years of use, thus the sagging problem.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2022 - 23:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Should have posted this earlier but V busy ATM.

Brian you talk a load of crap.

You try to state what you conjure up in your head from copious amounts of reading of the
manuals and the other is not much better.
If folk do as you say there will be few cars correctly running left.

I am talking SY Shadow with the holding of hydraulic pressure within the rams, trim height correct when parked.
A day or two and thereafter the height settles down (sagg) as the holding pressure drops, normal.
With all things working well the self levelling will activate on engine start up from parked for however long it is left with whatever height it has dropped to with or with out load.
BRIAN YOURS DOES NOT BY YOUR OWN SUBMISSION.
You have been rumbled.

As for the car in the video once again the ass is dragging when the car is being driven, self levelling not working as intended parked or otherwise.

SZ running gas spring/ strut, for the other,

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(Is it OK that the car should have the HCS working for practically the whole time? I think Rolls Royce would have said that is OK.)

Mr Dibley, the height control system is in fact designed to be active all of the time when running, one party trick for the the car on long trips for the cars stay level as the fuel tank lowers its level.

BTW will be doing a pump job with pictures,the first will be number 2 circuit pump, never been replaced from new 48 years, that will be fun.

Failing caused by myself, anyone want to guess how . Clue old age!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 00:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You still do not understand how the system works. Your car should not rise upon starting. Again, correct standing height is determined only by the springs and shimmed accordingly when needed due to the natural decay of the coiled spring over time.
It should only rise when activated by weight or the opening of the rear doors.
If it sags overnite you have other issues, notably a failing accumulator diaphram or ram seals that are not properly sealing. Any overhaul must involve the restrictor valves or you will be wasting your time. Based on your pics and towing, your springs and rams have been compromised

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 741
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't assume the height control valves or linkage has been touched on the subject car. A very common and cheap fix are spring spacers.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 01:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My goodness I hope you never go and do public repairs.

I will never forget a well respected member of this forum who twenty years ago replaced some springs with HD type who after fitted them the car looked like a praying mantis.
to overcome the height problem a heavy load was left in the boot for many a mile.
After time the car settled and the load removed.
after more time the car would sit just off the trim height only to regain its stance when the engine is started.
All SY cars do it even SZ but in most cases at a slower rate.
BTW don,t believe all that is wrote in the Flying lady mag.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 742
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Believe what you want. I have collected and fully restored SY cars for over 35 yrs and worked on Saturdays in well respected shops in the NYC area to gain hands on experience without pay. I have also attended many workshops at the RR North America headquarters by Cal West.
Check my work on Youtube under "Wraithman"
My work speaks for itself.
I do not work on anyone's cars in my 4000 sq ft shop, I do not need the income quite frankly, it's a passion.

I take guidance from professionals and offer expert advice to those that want it.
I don't think I can help you, sorry.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 02:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do not need your help many thanks for the offer.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3262
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr. Lockyer cannot be helped.

He is, by his own acclamation, The World's Foremost Authority.

The very idea that anyone could, or would, question the late Cal West, one of the world's renowned Shadow Authorities, is to laugh.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tut tut Vogel you have been rumbled.
Don't think all you read is correct.
Looks like you need practical help with your car or cars, Bad luck or what!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can't teach stupid

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 07:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How far this thread has deviated from the original post, not to mention utter disrespect.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Due respect was given.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2022 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately I cannot close this thread to avoid continuation of an unnecessary and largely irrelevant argument and have referred it to the Administrator for closure.

Please just "agree to disagree" and move on; there are more important and interesting topics to share with each other rather than "having the last say" on a minor item such as this topic.