Shadow halfshafts Lobro style Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow halfshafts Lobro style « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wolfgang Gatza
Yet to post message
Username: woolfi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 15 December, 2021 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The detroit joints of my Shdow II are worn. A lot of 'rattle and roll'.
Now I have mounted a diff from a Silver Spirit (2,69 instead of 3,07) and wanted also to mount the Lobro-style halfshafts from the late Spirit. The outer couplings for the Lobro shafts are mounted to the hub of the Shadow. When we tried to mount the halfshafts from the Spirit, we realised that they are roundabout 35mm (1,4") too long.
Flying Spares in UK is offering for 1600 pound a complete set with used recoditioned (cleaned plus 4 new rubber) parts for this conversion with Lobro style half-shafts, which are fitting to the Shadow.
Has anybody done such a swap and knows from which car these shorter half-shafts are ?
We have measures the width of the diff. It is the same like the diff with the couplings of the Shadow.
Also the outer couplings seem to have the same length. Therefore the difference in length must be caused from the half-shafts.
On some pictures I have seen, that the width of the outer 'parts' of the half-sahfts can be different. On the pictures we found in internet it looks that some of these two parts are roundabout 0,5" - 0,8" different. Maybe this is the reason of different length ? ? ?
Please excuse my simple english.

Regards Wolfgang Gatza (Germany)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, 15 December, 2021 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will find swapping out the output shafts a zero sum effort. The original output shaft system is very durable. Any knocking sound can be traced to worn universals, worn sliders within the "joint" or excessive backlash in the final drive. The wear is due from lack of lubrication within the large boot (requires 150ml of fluid) and usually weak rear springs. The rear height rams are designed to keep the rear output shafts reasonably level to prevent overextending the range of the joint.
The cost of labor and time , in my opinion is not worth it. Also check for cracked mounting brackets on the rear carrier support ends. Do not attempt to jack the rear under the support. It will deform easily since it is spot welded sheet metal filled with urethane.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: