Brake caliper rebuild Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Brake caliper rebuild « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2021 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

howday again.
Brake calipers - i know there are a few people who do them professionally.
Are there any in Australia?
I think Bristol Tool Works is one who does them in Canada, and I also beleive he powdercoats them as part of his service. Anybody else do anything similar?
TIA
GP

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4036
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2021 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Rebuilding the callipers is well-within the capabilities of an average home mechanic if you have access to the right tools including a "flapper brush" mounted on an electric drill to lap the bores of the callipers and the outer surface of the pistons before reassembling to help the new seals settle-in leak free.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2021 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Glen, it's me from Bristol Motors in Canada that you are thinking of, powdercoating the housings and using new stainless pistons in the rebuild. There is also Kelly at British Tool Works in the USA that does them, no connection to me. I could certainly send you a set but it would not be cost effective with the high shipping costs to Australia. You would have to send me back the cores from your car after installing the rebuilt ones too so that would add greatly to the cost. I have shipped parts to Australia in the past but the cost is very high. I'm sure you could find someone local to overhaul yours. Have a mechanic or yourself remove and dismantle them then glass bead blast them, and send them to you local powdercoater with instructions of where they are to be masked off so the piston bores and fluid holes are not coated. If you can't source stainless pistons or seal kits locally I can supply them as they will be an awful lot lighter to ship rather than what six heavy calipers will cost.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 459
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2021 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've always used one of the 3-stones-on-springs things instead of a flapper brush.

They're not very expensive: https://ige.ie/brake-cylinder-hone. (Nor are flapper brushes, but you have to make sure you get the right grit there.)

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, 27 November, 2021 - 03:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jim
I sent you an email yesterday on this issue to your Bristol motors address. Can we have a chat their please?
Thanks to you too David - but i dont have access to tools or space.
If i take the calipers off and send them to be powdercoated locally, the car is essentially disabled and will need to be stored for the time it took to remove them, powdercoat, rebuild and reattach. So id need to find a shop that are happy to have the car sitting around.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, 27 November, 2021 - 06:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cap off the hydraulic hoses when removed. Powdercoaters have hi-temp tape to mask off things.
Have torque wrench and thread lock?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4037
Posted on Saturday, 27 November, 2021 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I found the abrasive hones problematic as it was easy to form a ridge at the base of the bore if used too aggressively as the stones did not extend beyond the holder.

the "flappers" can be pushed right down to the end of the bore however you still have to be careful to move them uniformly up and down the bore to avoid forming a tapered bore with the consequent problems of fluid weeps.

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, 27 November, 2021 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting. The stones on mine do extend past the holder, but with a sample size of one I don't know how common/uncommon that is.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, 27 November, 2021 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You shouldn't hone the caliper bore, and it is unnecessary anyway. The seal does not ride on the bore surface so it does not need to be honed to take out any marks. The piston rides on the seal in the bore, so the piston surface must be smooth. The piston should only be cleaned and polished with 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper. Anything coarser and you run the risk of damaging the seal with a rough surface left by coarse paper. Any rust pits on a piston means it must be discarded, as the pit sharp edges will carve away at the seal and cause a leak. Caliper pistons and seals function the opposite of a master or slave cylinder where the seal is on the piston and rides in the bore.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: