Old Lady started fine, but a puzzling... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Old Lady started fine, but a puzzling brake pump fault. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jansberg
New User
Username: mikemjp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 18 September, 2021 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got the engine back in its right place and most of its accessories.
rrstart_sept

It started as it should apart from a slight transmission cooling line leak, easily fixed .

Next came the brake system and no matter how I tried to prime it, vacuum fluid out from the accumulators, the pumps just sucked and pushed back the same fluid in the intake hose.
After several disassemblies of the front pump without success or an idea of the problem, I put it together without the small inlet wave spring and shook it by hand, it rattled !

The fault were that the (new part) Chamfered Ring were 0.08 mm to large in diameter to pass the ridge inside the pump body.
p3

p1

Made a small adaptor and cut in my Lathe, and now it went together as it should.
p2

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3216
Posted on Saturday, 18 September, 2021 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do hope that you contact the supplier. This is almost certain not to be limited to you, and probably the result of "a bad run" of that part. They're going to need to check their stock.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, 18 September, 2021 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The whole system primes itself without the use of any external tool when the motor is running.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian: I have emailed, but since I didn't measure it before installing, I can't be 100% sure that it isn't my fault somehow?
I measured the old ring too (saved all the old parts) and it too were 19.88mm.
My guess is these new rings were made from the measurements taken on a used and allready expanded ring?

Robert: Not sure if you read the whole post?
Priming was only tried because I couldn't find anything on the web about this specific problem, closest was a guy who had bought two renovated pumps from Introcar where the rubber grease used in assembly had "dried" during storage, blocking the valves.
I had used liberal amounts of silicone caliper grease and my first thought was that this blocked the pump.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welp, I'm the supplier of Michael's kit. Of course, a post like this causes a bit of momentary panic and I immediately went to check all of my stock. Every single one of my tapered rings measures the exact same as they all came off of the CNC at the same time. They measure 19.85mm.

adapter rings

My next step was to check all of the pump bores that I have in stock to see if there was any variance in the manufacture of these bodies. They all measured exactly the same at 19.88mm - which is quite a testament to 60's and 70's production techniques.

pump body

I was quite puzzled at this point as I have assembled and tested literally hundreds of pumps with my kits and sold hundreds more and I've never encountered this issue before.

Michael has bought from me several times so I pulled up his receipts and found that I sold this kit in October 2019. This was from a much earlier run of these rings and I don't have any of these parts left in stock to check so I can only assume that I send Michael an oversize ring.

I hope Michael will accept my belated apology. I assure anybody who buys a kit from me that this will not happen again.

http://BritishToolWorks.com

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 16:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No apology needed Kelly, your products are the best.

I measured my pump inner diameters to 19.80, BUT since my vernier caliper has seen some rough handling over the years, I wouldn't put too much faith in a inner diameter measurement being that accurate.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Monday, 20 September, 2021 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have only words of praise for Mr Opfar's quality of work and indeed integrity.
Every item I have bought form Kelly has been perfect.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: