Rolls Royce Automatic Air Conditionin... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Rolls Royce Automatic Air Conditioning Course Notes 1975 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Royce-Automatic-Air-Conditioning-Course-Notes-1975/144135055460?hash=item218f1e6864:g:6TQAAOSwb9phBpbL&pageci=850ec2f9-b448-4eed-8334-50fd4f110432&redirect=mobile

These notes would be an invaluable addition to our documentation. I posted the course notes on the 1973 changes a while ago and they proved useful to a number of people.

The opening bid on these is just £5 & I can't imagine they'll go much higher.

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to bid & pay postage to Australia at the moment, so could some kind soul grab them? We can work out how to convert them to PDF & publish them here after.

I'm sure the information in them will be useful to everyone who has the Shadow II auto Aircon system.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just bid £8.00. Don't outbid me yet.

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A suggestion: Someone should use a bid sniping service like Gixen (that's what I use, but I don't know if it works with eBay worldwide) and put in your maximum bid to be placed *very* shortly before the end of auction.

And, if anyone wishes me to do it, I can scan this sort of thing to searchable PDF provided we're not talking any page sizes like a full-sized whole-car wiring diagram.

Interesting to see the Camargue used as "the car" pictured on this documentation.

Brian

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 687
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Alan, there's rarely much competition :-)

Brian - they'll be A4 sized pages, or possibly Foolscap, so easy to scan. I was wondering what that car was, obviously the auto system made it into the derivatives before the Shadow II was introduced.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When we are successful and Brian creates the searchable PDF, I will see if I can get it posted in the Technical Library with appropriate acknowledgements.

Alan - I will share the cost of acquiring these notes and sending them to Brian with you.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3165
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

Remember that the Corniche was the usual "test car" for technology that was later to come to the others, and that, to a certain extent, so was the Camargue.

But, in this case, I simply presume that they wanted to use their flagship product image, and the Camargue was their flagship at the time.

But I was not kidding about using a sniper. I checked and I cannot set up a snipe on eBay UK. I have years under my belt on eBay and have learned, the hard way, that bidding on anything in advance that is something that might be wanted will likely result in a loss of the auction. Very few die-hard eBayers do anything except use sniping software in hopes of two things:

1. The price will not be driven up early by someone else overbidding as many times as needed to get to the head of the pack.

2. They'll get the item much cheaper if they snipe with the maximum bid they'd really be willing to make.

Brian

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, I should've thought of the Camargue, we have an owner in outback QLD with one. I'm in Australia so I have difficulty with the UK site as well. I keep odd hours so I'll be awake when this goes off. I follow these sort of items a lot & course notes tend to be poor sellers - hopefully in this case too; automobilia freaks tend to go for the glossier magazine stuff.

We won't fail - the Shadow II aircon system is a wonder to behold and a joy to try and fix I'm told ;-)

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, 02 August, 2021 - 18:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If anyone wants to use this "sniping" system then please take over from me. It would be a shame if we lost this because someone else pipped us to the post.

I bid £8.00 to provide a little lee-way, so that puts "our" cost up if someone else bids - to at least £8.50 (????).

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK. I won the auction as the only bidder. Who wants it and how? Forget the few quid it's not worth the hassle.

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 02:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

How many pages are involved and what are the individual page dimensions?

If the dimensions are such that I can use my scanner to create the OCR-ed PDF my offer still stands that I will do so if the material is sent to me. I can return the originals, or not, at your discretion. I'll give the PDF to anyone who'd want it and supply it to our Mr. Gore for inclusion in the Post-War Technical Library.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 3983
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

Please email it in any format to me or [preferable] put in a Google Drive folder and send me the link by email.

Alan,

I will forget the cost but if you send my your postal address, I will send you something Australian you might appreciate in return.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The stuff should be with me tomorrow or Wednesday. I will report then.

Alan D.

Chris Gillings
Experienced User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, 10 August, 2021 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For quick, accurate and trouble-free scanning and conversion of documents to searchable PDFs I heartily recommend a CZUR scanner (czur.com). I have two of them now (a Shine Ultra and an Aura Mate Pro) and they're amazingly good.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, 11 August, 2021 - 17:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It all depend upon the quality of the originals.
many of these were printed on plain buff paper so the print bleeds through from the back page.
Thus they have to be scanned with a black page behind the original so the reverse page does not become part of the scan then the white point adjusted so the page scans as having a white background.
I still have and regularly use an old Cannoscan N1220U.
Not the fastest but dose a very good scan because it is adjustable where as the new does everything ( poorly ) Print/scan/fax Epson WF 1720 is fully automatic so makes rubbish scans of documents printed on adsorbent paper

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, 11 August, 2021 - 19:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The stuff has arrived. It is 3 stapled A4 booklets with cardboard covers of about 10 t0 20 double-sided pages, very clear print, lots of diagrams and I estimate invaluable if you have problems in applicable A/C. Fault flow-charts, big clear diagrams, removal and refitting instructions, location diagrams.....

There is also a glossy brochure "Rolls-Royce and Bentley in 1987" an illustrated (some colour) descriptions and pictures of the new/modified sections/parts/bits of the 1987 cars, for instance colour diagrams of N/A and Jetronic fuel systems. This was thrown in for free because it hadn't sold.

The quality of the printing is excellent but for very slight yellowing and slight black bleed-through.

I have a Brother printer/scanner/copier and could copy them and internet the results, but it will take a long time and I will still need to get the documents to someone who will care for them - I will never have an applicable car. They weigh about 1 1/4 pounds or 610 grams.

Instructions, please. Fight among yourselves.

Alan D.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, 11 August, 2021 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks a lot for doing this Alan. I have a Shadow I and have just rebuilt the whole aircon system which was quite a task. I read (for comparison) the Shadow II manual's section on the auto aircon system covered by these notes and that appears even more daunting.

It's a well- built system though, unlike modern all-plastic systems, the switches, sensors, doorflaps etc can be repaired or replaced. As I discovered, there are even still people out there who will rebuild the copper & brass heater cores - for a price.

Look forward to seeing the notes eventually.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3171
Posted on Wednesday, 11 August, 2021 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I cannot recall whether you are physically located in the UK or not. Given the state of postage these days if there is someone who's "local" who can scan that makes the most sense.

My offer still stands, as A4 is the largest page size I can do. These would be a cinch compared to the Owner's Handbooks that I've done by hand.

I would suggest perhaps donating them either to the Rolls-Royce Foundation (US) or another RR/Bentley club that maintains a library after the scanning is complete.

Brian

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, 11 August, 2021 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, yes I'm in the UK - Somerset, England.

I agree that a UK scanner would be ideal. If there are no offers I will use my Brother printer - it might be better than I suspect.

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Thursday, 12 August, 2021 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Virtually all of the recent (and by recent I mean last 15 years or so) multi-function machines with scanners are absolutely fine, and do an excellent job, of creating OCR-scanned documents. And that's even from "less than perfect" originals.

Most of my initial scanning that occurred over 10 years ago was done on a Canon unit that cost all of $29 at the time. It's beautifully legible and however it is they decide on search order in documents where the text is in columnar format was correct as well.

I suspect, as you do, that your Brother machine will do a fine job with this.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Thursday, 12 August, 2021 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

when you are done with the scanning I will gladly buy them off you Alan.
Omar

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, 21 August, 2021 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK brethren, I have 75 A4 scans - 600 x 600 dpi - which is 55MBytes. Who wants it and how? Discuss among yourselves and command.

Alan D.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 780
Posted on Saturday, 21 August, 2021 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening Mr.Dibley O.B.E. I would be most grateful for a copy at whatever cost you determine, Regards, Larry.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 781
Posted on Saturday, 21 August, 2021 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan, Please retain a copy for me, Regards, Larry

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Saturday, 21 August, 2021 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Do you have access to Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, or similar?

55MB is a drop in the proverbial bucket, and should upload to the cloud quite quickly.

If you don't wish to do this, then see if you can e-mail me a ZIP file containing the scans. Or send them in a sequence of messages with whatever maximum attachment size your email provider will permit. I'll place it on Google Drive so that those who want to snag them (which I imagine will include the RROC-A Post-War Technical Library) will have easy access.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 3990
Posted on Saturday, 21 August, 2021 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will do my best to have it added to the Technical Library by Richard Treacy or Bill Coburn.

Thanks Alan for your contribution to our community - I am sure it will be of great assistance to our Shadow II custodians.

Please PM me your postal address and I will forward a small token of our appreciation for your generosity.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/images/smilies2/appl.gif

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, 31 August, 2021 - 18:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Someone sent me a private message and it got listed as "Spam". I flagged it as "Not Spam", which should have put it into "Old Email" but it got lost. I did read the topic - this one. Please repeat and I will make sure I read it.

Alan D.

David Gore

Post Number: 4001
Posted on Wednesday, 01 September, 2021 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

It might have been Omar as he did indicate previously he was interested in obtaining the original documents.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Wednesday, 01 September, 2021 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have resent the email just in case it was me....

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, 01 September, 2021 - 17:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David and Omar, I got Omar's first email OK. Is there anyone else out there? Or was it another AOL glitch?

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, 08 September, 2021 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not seen pointers to these notes as assembled into their two forms. Have they been published? Or, more likely, have I missed it?

Alan D.

David Gore

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Thursday, 09 September, 2021 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I have sent the finished files to the Technical Library Administrator for inclusion in the Library which may be delayed due to his existing commitments.

I have been informed these will be included as soon as practicable - in the meantime, anyone wanting a copy of the final version can obtain one from me.

A message to me with a return email address is all that is required.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, 17 April, 2022 - 15:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
Is there a way that you can send a link to these documents to help our colleague Cliff Biggs?
I think these notes will help him a great deal in sorting out his blower issue.
Thanks
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

If those files are only 55 MB, and it's going to be a while before they actually appear on the Technical Library, I'd be happy to host them on my Google Drive if you send them to me. I'll also gladly take them down once they hit the Technical Library.

Brian

P.S. to Omar: I don't know how applicable these would be to the SZ system. I seem to recall quite a few changes, but I could be entirely wrong about that.

David Gore

Post Number: 4079
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

The course notes can be downloaded using the following link - unfortunately I cannot upload them to the Technical Library as I do not have the necessary access. I will forward this link to Cliff Biggs as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17zH1EiMwU-Kpjt7Z3XrAIwlNYT8GwK-7/view?usp=sharing

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks much, gentlemen!

David Gore

Post Number: 4081
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I have forwarded my Google Drive link to Cliff - of course you can download a copy for permanent addition to your library.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3282
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 13:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Thanks. I've snagged a copy from the link you provided, but I presume you're not planning to delete this from your Google Drive any time soon, so that can be the "until it hits the library" link.

Brian

David Gore

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 16:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I have two versions of the file:

1. A computer compatible version where all pages including diagrams/illustrations can be viewed on a computer screen.

2. A print compatible version where all pages are able to be printed full size in a mix of portrait and landscape formats as appropriate to their individual formats.

Anyone wanting the print version, please message me through the forum and I will send you the necessary link to access this file.

My Drive folder contents will remain accessible for my lifetime and probably longer as I will be making arrangements for a trusted family member to make appropriate arrangements for this folder to remain accessible.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many, many years ago (10, 15 ???) I scanned the simplified diagrams of the Spirit (don't know what year, but it does not matter a lot for this purpose) and the results were published somewhere/somehow on this site, I think. I have the master copies, coloured in pretty orange and blue blocks, in my hand at this moment.

Does anyone remember what happened to this info? It might help with a current problem elsewhere on the forums.

David Gore

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Tuesday, 19 April, 2022 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan,

Travelling back to Sydney today - will search the forum archives tonight and see what I can find.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 08 September, 2022 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry but just found this thread

The copy that was forwarded to me was invaluable in deciphering how to fix my fan issue and understanding how the system works.
Lots was left to "guessing" but having a background in electrical troubleshooting this helped immensely
Thanks to all who helped!!!!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3313
Posted on Friday, 09 September, 2022 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, David Gore has kindly left TSD4123 - Automatic Air Conditioning Unit Course Notes, 1975 right where he put them on his Google Drive in April 2022.

A very useful resource indeed!

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: