Fitting Viton valve guide seals Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Fitting Viton valve guide seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Jansberg
New User
Username: mikemjp

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to you all for the encouraging words. I hope this post will also be helpful.

I used this cutter to modify the guides with:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-92045

And these viton type seals, I would not recommend using the more common hard teflon type seals, since they would restrict lubrication of the valve stem:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-515-16

The stock guide before cutting.

Cutting the outside diameter of the guide, a 1 minute job and the cutter also make a nice small radius to the top of the guide.

Cut guide.

Seal fitted.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 04:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like this - great job!!!!

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 06:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I didn't even know there was such a cutter as this, I always thought one had to go to a machine shop for this.

Leave it to RR to use those old cotton and wax valve seals even on the Shadows, I'm pretty sure they had more advanced technology when the Shadow was released.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-92045

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Enginetech S-2980. No cutting at all. Don't seal the collets, they need lube.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert. I only saw these on Flying Spares with a price tag of 13.13 £ for 1.

https://www.flyingspares.com/modified-valve-stem-seal-ue7428nfp.html

Rockauto quotes a very reasonable 0.53 $ a piece, so either Flying is extremely expensive or they price it as a set of 16, but I can't find any info that specifies if its for 1 or 16?

Jeff. Back in 79 when I rebuilded my first V8, a 383 Dodge Challenger, the "umbrella" type valve seal was most common on US V8's, it sits firm on the valve stem and follows the valves motion, on a not too worn stem/guide they worked very well allowing for adequate lubrication of the guide.

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/valve-stem-seals.html

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 734
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Genuine Bentley seals for the SZ series engine are £28 each. I have had a set on my Bentley 8 £448 .

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The new seals are very inexpensive unless purchased from FS. Easily less than $1 ea. I think 20 pcs/box? So less than $50 for all seals.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark. then I guess Flying means the 13.13 price is per piece, I would say that is outrageous!

Robert. I have a question, when placing the spring seat/bottom washer over the new seal setup, this one UE32068 in the picture:

https://www.introcar.co.uk/lookbook/camshaft-valves-hydraulic-lifters-chassis-numbers-08742-38971-li596

It would seem that this will fill to the brim with oil and the seal lip would be under oil. Could it be an idea to grind a small hole to drain the oil, or is it working just fine as it is?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 688
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You completely do away with the old cotton seals, inner spring and umbrella cup. Nothing to drill.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2021 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert. Well that goes without saying, but the old outer cover is double acting as a spring seat, otherwise the valvespring will stand directly on the aluminium of the head.

Of course finding an ordinary flat hardened spring seat shim should not pose a problem.

Michael Jansberg
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 05 July, 2021 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This pic with the head set at the correct angle shows the problem with the original springseat and this viton seal.
The seal type Robert use might sit that bit higher on the guide so it seals above the oillevel.

I took the simple route and ended up cutting the springseats with an anglegrinder.

Interesting lip on the intake seat, most likely to let fuel running along the port floor into the airstream again, not that simple to do when cutting valveseats on most equipment.

As shown in the picture I ran a cutter over the port surfaces, not to do any actual porting work (apart from a little edge removing around the guides) but just to clean carbon residue, the casting of the ports is nicely done and blending with the valve seat rings much better than usually seen.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Monday, 05 July, 2021 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great stuff Michael.
Well done You!!! I am sure this is a fantastic positive modification.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: