Bonnet catch operating cable Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Bonnet catch operating cable « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carlos Maenhout
New User
Username: carlos_maenhout_from_belgium

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car is Silver Shadow drophead coupe built 1969.
The Bonnet catch cable broke off in the engine bay while the bonnet was still closed.
I am looking for a tip to re-open the bonnet.
Carlos

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 20:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This hasn't happened on my Silver Shadow 11 "yet" but as a precaution I have tied a length of wire to the bonnet lever and the wire can be reached from underneath. I think you should be able to get to your bonnet lever if you raise the car and using a torch and a long stiff hook you might be able to grab the lever from underneath the car & pull. Good luck.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 23:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This happened to me many years ago. To see the way I eventually solved it use the Search Facility to look for Bonnet Locking Mechanism in the Silver Shadow Section using Whole Words and Subject Lines filters.
The thread was started on March 10,2009 by Bill Coburn.
Good Luck !
John

Carlos Maenhout
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 31 May, 2021 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thx Larry and John
John, I also considered to cut a hole in the bonnet, but I feel relieved now after reading your thread of 2009.
I will try it
Carlos

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2257
Posted on Monday, 31 May, 2021 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The thread John refers to is here:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/8259.html?1236726436

If you need any pics of the bonnet release lever, let me know.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, 31 May, 2021 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My method worked with my right hand drive car as there was a clear space which enabled the dowel to hit the lever. I don't know if this also applies to a left hand drive car.
Also when adding a short wire to the other end of the shaft I needed to extend the screw holes in the fresh air cover to the edge, so that the cover could be removed with the bonnet closed by only loosening the screws.

Carlos Maenhout
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 01 June, 2021 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear John
your tip was gold. yesterday evening I managed to open the bonnet in the way you did. I made a V-shaped notch at the end of the dowel in order to get more grip on the lever. after 5 attempts, the bonnet opened. What a relief.
carlos

John Kilkenny
Frequent User

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, 01 June, 2021 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news Carlos !
John

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: