Speed Control Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Speed Control « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, 28 April, 2021 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

How many people have working Speed Control?

I pulled mine apart last year and the 2 solenoids inside were a little corroded.

Reading past posts on these seems I just need to soak mine in WD 40 for a while to free them up,...

I also have a disconnected wire and will have to seal the bellows that is new on Camilla.

Would love to get Camilla's working again.

I do note that in Camilla's service history the speed control system was disconnected as part of a RR service directive.

Graham.

Adrianj
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 143.159.117.54
Posted on Thursday, 29 April, 2021 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sticking solenoids and leaking bellows (sometimes just where it lips around the plates even when the bellows look good) are the usual culprits. Failing that check the control module. Should be covered in T-One Topics if you care to peruse. Even excessively slack pull chain can be a simple cause.

(Message approved by david_gore)

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, 30 April, 2021 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, look at Bentley Heritage site, under technical-Service Bulletins-78 to 80 (i think) in section M, bulletin SY/M104 gives testing procedure for cruise control.
Also seem to remember some issues on early Spirit model? where the brake light switch- which is in fact two switches in one was failing. This meant that although brake lights worked, the second part was failing that sent signal to cancel cruise control. This resulted in cruise still engaged whilst brakes applied. The system noted drop off in speed, assumed car was going up slope/hill and requested more throttle- of course human reaction was more brake, system reaction more throttle!! The rules for recalls were different then, so might have just been ordinary service bulletin.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2021 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does any one have one that actually works ?
If so does any one actually use it ?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3928
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2021 - 17:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

I did use it on a regular basis on DRH14434 during my custodianship - took a while to "get the bugs out" at first but it did work eventually.

I will say the system is very basic and I only used it when highway driving. I also always manually disengaged it for safety reasons as I never really trusted it.

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2021 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have speed control on my 1978 Corniche DRH32489. When I bought the car about 7 years ago the speed control did not work. Colin Brown, from Gold Coast Auto Centre, and I worked through all the issues with this along with all the other electrical, aircon and servo problems for about a year. The speed control needed some work on the bellows and the control unit. Eventually, after swapping speed control units with other SYs' ECUs, we proved that the ECU was really a problem. I bit the bullet and got a changeover ECU from Flying Spares. After installing the changeover ECU, plus minor work on the bellows, the speed control worked perfectly.
I still use the speed control, and enjoy driving the Corniche in a manner just like my modern car.
Regularly I take the Corniche from the Gold Coast down south to visit family about 200 km away, and the speed control works well as we sit on 110 kph for most of the trip on the upgraded Pacific Highway. Unlike a modern car, to disengage the speed control a deliberate push on the brake pedal is needed, rather than a mere touch on the brake pedal. Often I disengage it by flicking the switch off on the gear change lever to be sure.
My thoughts are that if you want a speed control to work you need to spend the money to get a changeover ECU if necessary and fix the things like poor seals on the bellows.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, 02 May, 2021 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ours were all Shadow I's so ECU's are not a problem as only one had the electronic ignition.
Spent a lot of time fiddleing with them but ended up just disconnecting them all together .
Then again it was all Sydney metro driving so not much use for a speed control
The longest run was a couple of trips to Maitland.

Adrianj
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 146.200.18.72
Posted on Sunday, 02 May, 2021 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have working cruise control on my last off line Shadow 11. Initial fault was one gummed solenoid due to lack of use. Works fine, keeps the speed up when on an incline and I use it. If closing on traffic I just switch it off on the stalk rather than dab the brake then click resume when ready.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: