Hood/roof hydraulic mechanism connect... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Hood/roof hydraulic mechanism connections help please. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tennison
New User
Username: fixstuff

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 18 February, 2021 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish to remove the pump assembly, all works perfectly however, is looking a little untidy and would like to remove it in order to give it a good clean & service. I can see the electrical connections look straight forward but the 2 hydraulic couplings I am unsure about e.g. are they still under pressure, do the couplings just unscrew with swivel type joints or do the hoses need to be rotated. Any guidance much appreciated.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Thursday, 18 February, 2021 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

which car?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3885
Posted on Friday, 19 February, 2021 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Omar needs to know which Shadow model, year and chassis number before responding to your request for advice.

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1977-1980 Corniche DHC RHD

Cheers

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One look at the fittings and you would know whether the ends are swivel.
Have you tried to loosen one?

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not tried the fittings incase I do something that I can't immediately reverse successfully , the hood needs to stay working for at least the next few weeks after which I have some time to work with it. So I'm trying to gather info in advance.

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have ya checked curiousity incorporated channel on YouTube he has restored a rrss DHC

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 15:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not got round to working on the roof of my Corniche/Continental yet. I have however torn the hydraulics apart on my Azure completely. The system is not pressurised on the Azure. All the oil spills back to the reservoir after the actuator has done its trick. I imagine the Corniche must be the same.
I imagine they would never design a pressurised system that remain pressurised in the dormant state in case a hose burst and the occupants get showered in oil.
As Hubert says - undo a joint slowly and see.

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2021 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK will let you know in a few weeks.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Sunday, 21 February, 2021 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

I note that Section S9 of all the Series 2 Shadow/Corniche copies of the workshop manuals I have are missing. The "Series 1" manual (TSD 2476) section S7 covers the Powered Operated Hood System quite comprehensively.

Have you been able to locate a copy of Section S9 for the series 2 cars?

If not, it may be worth looking at the manual for the Series 1 cars as the mechanism may essentially be the same.

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, 23 February, 2021 - 00:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Many thanks for your response, think I have enough data now, it was mainly the couplings/Unions I wanted to understand, I guess it's going to be try it and see.

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Experienced User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, 18 April, 2021 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can always open&close the roof by hand, pulling on the handle that RR provided us with.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: