Avon Turbo steels on steel RR wheels ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Avon Turbo steels on steel RR wheels - Inner Tubes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Tennison
New User
Username: fixstuff

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 03:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Should standard 1980 SSII steel wheels be fitted with Inner Tubes ?

My fitter suggested that the factory steel wheels were not of a design that would ordinarily take tubeless tyres without inner tubes !? Of the 5 changed only 1 had an inner tube.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2406
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 03:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Both my SS1 and SS11 have always been fitted with tubeless tyres

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 03:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Just to be clear, your tubeless tyres were fitted without inner tubes ?

My new tyres (Avon Turbo steels) are tubeless but still the fitter made the comment.!

Cheers

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes without tubes.

Have known rusty tubeless rims that cannot seal have been fitted with tubeless tyres but not recommended.

Early cars had cross plies but if memory is correct they were tubeless rims as well!

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Mark VI rims have been running with out tubes for more then 20 years.
I had the rims sand blasted and painted.
I told the shop that was painting them to use lots of primer and paint to seal the rivets.
After they were sandblasted, I made sure there were no flaws where the tire was going to seal.
If the Shadow rims have no rivets, a modern tubeless tire will seal just fine if one makes sure that the rim is smooth with fresh paint where the tire seals.

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, the wheels are being media blasted and powder coated. I believe the fitters comment was a safety observation in that RR steel wheels do not have a "safety bead" built in internally, apparently this bead is to help the tyre stay on the rim when cornering should the tyre pressure go low ! Good to see that it does not appear to be an RR issue in the real world.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark
Whats the plan with your wheels? Colour, type, powder coating etc etc?

Mark Tennison
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 17:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

Wheels are standard steel RR in gloss black and size to take factory 235/70/15 Avon turbo steels.
I am putting on 5 new Avon turbo steels to match originals and as the factory 40 year old steel wheels did not look perfect I'm taking the opportunity while the tyres are off the wheels to get the wheels freshened up. "Rolling Rims"

https://rolling-rims.co.uk/?utm_source=yell&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=yell

are doing the work i.e. original paint removed by media blasting, powder coated gloss black, Rolling Rims will be finishing the build up (wheel/tyre fitting, new valve, balancing...) today. Then I'll fit to car along with the cleaned and polished chrome wear.

I'll try uploading pictures once I get them.

Cheers

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just had to check, there is no safety bead on my MK VI rims, but there is one on a set of rims for my 99 Mazda truck.
Personally I think if the tire pressure got that where the tires would come of the rim in a corner, the car would be undrivable in the first place.
If it happened in the real world you would not be able to drive the car with such low air pressure.
Any tire shop that won't mount tires on rims with out a safety bead is covering their ass from liability.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: