Avon turbo steels? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Avon turbo steels? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 12:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Dose anyone know where I can get the Avon Turbo steels for Camilla here in Melbourne?

Thanks.

Graham.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 16:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sit down before they give you the price

https://www.antiquetyres.com.au/

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We drive cars where the tires can be expensive.
I just payed 2000.00$ Canadian dollars on a set of plain black wall 650r16 Diamond Back tires, through a Canadian dealer.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 691
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why would you want Avon's?
I found other makes so much better.
Cheers Mike

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am with Mike on this.
Mark

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 705
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me too and I use a little more air pressure than the manual suggests.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, 09 November, 2020 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Why am I after Avon tires,....

Just because,...

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, Mark and Larry: What are your recommendations for tyres available in UK? And what is better about them (than Avons) apart from price?

I suspect several people would like to know.

Alan D.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 01:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan I have used General, Hercules and Galaxy recently. The Galaxy seem to wear reasonably well, balance well and handle well both wet and dry. I have had numerous attempts to get Avons to balance and they tend to go out of round in my experience. The Hercules performed well, but the walls cracked after a relatively few years. I have Hercules on my S1 and at 10 years old they look perfect , although I will change them next year on age. The General s were excellent and wore extremely well but were not available last time I bought tyres.
Mark

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
I've just put continentals (other makes available but weren't in stock) on mine and it's hard to describe the difference , just more refined quieter smoother ride , they just feel more supple. The Avons felt more like commercial tyres with stiff sidewalls and a harsher ride imho.
Sorry Graham but that ad was over 50 years ago things have changed.
hope that helps
Mike

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I got mine here (avon)
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/rolls-royce/silver-shadow-ii.html

It's not Melbourne though.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan, I'm running 4x4 low decibel tyres that look good and do the job nicely and have a nice thread pattern. I have the car garaged a few miles away and can't recall the make but I'll check and report back. They cost only €120 each and so far I'm happy with them and I don't notice any extra road noise compared to the Avons. I've never tested them in the wet as I try to avoid driving the Shadow in wet conditions.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well I'm just going for the 'original thing'.

I guess I can be funny that way.

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Experienced User

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm sure you may have come across this video, but you may want to watch it before making your decision.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/rolls-royce/silver-shadow.html

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny
We ran 8 cars in our peak
The two lead cars reserved for the bride always had the avons fitted because they ran a lot quieter & smoother than the other tyres that were on the cars when we bought them.
The avons were the only tyres we had where you could hear the clock in the dash ticking at 100 kph

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh,
Forgot to add we got them from a used tyre dealer in Moorebank .
He said he got them from dealers who fitted different tyres to new cars at the customers request.
The best handleing tyre were the Mag Mopus that were fitted to the second car we bought
Really stiff sidewalls so they made the suspension work hard but really great grip
But talk about noisy, you could hear them in the lead car from the 4th car in a procession.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all , forgot to mention I'm running 255/55/17s.
Maybe that's the difference in experience.
Cheers Mike

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, 10 November, 2020 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike , mine are all 235/70/15 .on the Shadow and the Bentley8 and Mulsanne S. 235/75/15 on the S1.
Mark

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, 11 November, 2020 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Just got a reply from one of my inquiry's I sent out for the Avon tires,...

Antique tires got back to me and can get them,6-8 weeks $600.00 each.

I'm gonna go have a lay down,.....

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Experienced User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2020 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's ridiculous, even if you ordered them from Longstone tires, at 184 pounds and converted that to Australian dollars that would be 334.00$,
I can't see the freight being that much even on the other side of the planet.
Where ever you got your quote from, they're probably paying the 184 pounds and then marking that up to the 600.00$ a tire.

That's for the 235r/70's, it gets expensive for the 205r70's.
Personally I would go with the Michelin's, if that size works, I think the free shipping on those is world wide.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2020 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

From Avon direct its $359.00 each, then you gotta ship it,...

Graham.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, 12 November, 2020 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been running Michelin's on my Turbo R and I Love them. The Avon's don't wear nearly as well.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, 14 January, 2021 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well Camilla's Avons have arrived so now I just need to go get them,...

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

Graham.

Jeff Martin
Experienced User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, 15 January, 2021 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm surprised that the other place that was going to charge you 600.00$ is still in business.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, 16 January, 2021 - 00:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We were originally quoted $ 600 each which is why Tony ferreted around and found the roaded ones but they were still $ 400 a piece

There is a big mark up on "exotic" tyres down here.
Avons for the bike are $ 275 a piece . Dunlops were $ 72

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Saturday, 16 January, 2021 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Trev,

I used antique tyres once for my 25 Chev when they had an outlet in Sydney.

They even had 2 rims made for it.

But frightfully expensive.

You mentioned getting them shipped, yes that can be dear, but then getting them fitted at a local tyre shop can be expensive as well.

My son was quoted $30 a wheel to strip and fit each tyre for special tyres he bought off the net.

When this is usually free, it came as a shock.
$5-$10 I would have thought would be ok for each wheel, but not $30.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, 16 January, 2021 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nothing is "free"
The fitting fee comes out of the 100% mark up.
It just looks better than a price fort he tyre + a price for the fitting + a price for the balancing + a price for disposal of the old case.

Tyre fitters get around $ 35 / hr
The on costs would push the cost to the shop double that .
Then add tooling costs & disposal costs so $ 30 wheel is actually quite reasonable.
I charge $ 20 per item to fit customers parts to their mowers And I have a minimum labour billing of $ 30.
People think they are being really smart buying usually inferiour parts from the diverted scrap merchants on the web, then they die in the bum when it costs $ 50 to replace a pair of blades that they got for $ 5 each cheaper than I quoted.
Even more so when they hit a tree root , star picket, curb, edging etc & the "fit" blade shatters because it is made from chap high carbon steel and not boron steel.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2302
Posted on Saturday, 16 January, 2021 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All good points Trev.

Things are cheap for a reason.

Jeff Martin
Experienced User

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, 17 January, 2021 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

30 bucks is about right to mount and balance a tire _ here in Canada anyway, it was 7 bucks just to dismount my old tires so I could touch up the rims.
At 5$ to 10$ a tire, I don't know about that, maybe 20 or 30 years ago ?

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, 04 February, 2021 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well I finally got them and had them fitted.

These tires are QUIET!

Now I can hear the slight wind noise from the drivers door,....

sigh,...

Hangs head and exits stage left,....

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3878
Posted on Friday, 05 February, 2021 - 08:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps the time is right to resurrect my previous post on how to read the tyre information from the sidewall including the most important information being the date of manufacture.

Please note tyres have a recommended "use by" date after which they should be replaced regardless of the amount of tread left as the compounds used in manufacturing the tyres are affected by environmental factors which can result in unexpected tyre failures.

Note the date coding and 6 year shelf life information at the bottom of the image. The actual manufacturing date is easy to decode as it still follows the same pattern.

From experience, I have seen less popular sizes in dealer stock more than 2 years old. For this reason, it is best to both buy from a retailer with high turnover and to check the tyre dates [note these may be individually different] BEFORE they are fitted:

tyre code

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Friday, 05 February, 2021 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good info.

And it will not be long in the UK before all tyres are scraped on a age time basis, new regs have just come into force for some passenger and goods vehicles.

Pleased to have budget XL tyres on my RR makes sense if law comes in on classic cars ETC to replace in 6-10 years with low mileage.

With steering geometry set up correctly the tyres will have much tread left on classic cars when the tyres are scrapped unless the car does high mileage.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.213.177.14
Posted on Sunday, 07 February, 2021 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I personally think the view a tyre is suddenly dangerous after 6 years is tripe. Depends how it has been used / stored. I keep my cars on slave wheels when not in use (winter) with the service wheels off the car in the dark.

Avon make whitewalls infrequently I believe.

Tyres get remoulded (including large commercial airliners)and presumably get a fresh date with an old carcass. My tyre shop is of the same opinion and does test the rubber for hardness.

The pharmaceutical industry also put 'expires' date on goods that are in fact perfectly safe well past the date.

Imagine all these commercial, military etc show vehicles having to change their tyres every 6 years, the cost would be phenomenally expensive and in effect scrap the vehicle.

A bit like the ethanol market, the benefits claimed for E10 being beneficial for the environment etc being tripe also. Just to bolster sales.

People will demand tyres being no more than 3 weeks old when buying new tyres which I doubt could ever happen, the JIT (just in time) principle I doubt could ever be met with new tyres (say 6 months old) being rejected by consumers and getting scrapped.

Back to Avon whitewalls which would I doubt ever be produced using JIT principle, they make them in periodic batches I believe. Be interesting to see the date on Grahams 'new' tyres, in the photo it looks like a 07 code but there are 2 DOT marks on a tyre so it could be the wrong one that is visible.

Can you confirm Graham?

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3881
Posted on Sunday, 07 February, 2021 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

AdrianJ,

With regard to your comments, this is an international forum and contributors face differing laws and regulations depending on where they live; what is legal in your location may be illegal elsewhere and vice versa.

Aviation, military, road, off-road, light duty, heavy duty and farm/construction vehicle tyres are made to different specifications and life expectancies as well as legal requirements to suit the service conditions, location and intended use.

What is sensible and legal for your situation may be inappropriate and possibly illegal in another location.

With regard to "use-by" dating, this will include a margin of safety such as the limit specified being 80% of the actual date to cover abnormal or unexpected situations that may arise. This would include a period of storage before purchase and installation. In my own case, the tyres on DRH14434 were replaced every 8 years from the date of manufacture instead of the recommended 6 years however these were still removed from the vehicle and checked for defects every year whilst in use.

Personally, I will never install retreads as I have no history of the past use/abuse of the tyres and I value the lives of myself, my family and my passengers far more than the miniscule saving achieved from purchasing retreads. I have had one experience of a 4 year old new tyre on my 4WD experiencing tread delamination in use; fortunately I heard the "thump, thump, thump" caused by the delamination and was able to pull over in a safe place to check and replace the tyre. I shudder to think of the risks involved doing this in the breakdown lane of a high speed multi-lane road.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, 07 February, 2021 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FWIW
My cars have been sitting in a paddock for about 5 years since the last one was used although I have promised myself to get one back on the road this calendar year.
last year in the middle of those 40+ days there was a very loud bang in the front yard and a quick check could see nothing amiss.

A few months later when looking out of the window it looked like they all needed some air as they were all at funny angles
Two of the tyres had burst through the sidewalls with holes almost big enough o put your hand through.

I will assume it was just hardening from UV rays and the heat building up pressure in the tyres.
Now these were not the Avons , they are inside .
These were "Mag-Mopus" full white walls that came on one of the cars.
We took them off because they were so noisy I could hear them coming a block away, but we got a good deal on 4 Avons complete with wheels so the Mag Mopus tyres became emergency spares for things like when some clot slashes your tyres

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, 08 February, 2021 - 18:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

These are the codes on the Avons.

Graham.

AdrianJ
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.213.177.14
Posted on Monday, 08 February, 2021 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The DOT code needed will be on the inside wall then as the one depicted does not give manufacture date. It should read as 4 numbers.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2022 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Graham,
Was hoping for a tyre update.
How many kms travelled?
Are you still happy with the ride quality and tyre noise?
And were they worth the money and would you buy them again?
Are you running at 28 psi?
Thanks in advance.
I think im like you and want to keep the car in its factory look. Just dont tell the wife how much it costs.
Regards Eric.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 477
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2022 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The Avon tyres are doing Great!

I can't see any wear so far.

Not sure of how far I've gone on them to date though.

But yes I would get another set when these finally wear out.

Graham

Eric Molenaar
New User
Username: aussiewraith78

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2022 - 23:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Graham for the information.
Glad to hear that they have performed as expected.
Regards Eric.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: