Fuel Cap - 1978 Silver Shadow II - Eu... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Fuel Cap - 1978 Silver Shadow II - European Spec « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the sake of completeness, I took photos of the cap on SRH33576, too.

Note that the chain (on this car it looks like it was braided wire cable, based on the bit that's left on the car side) has been missing since the day I acquired her. I also made the large black gasket that's sitting inside the cap, as the original had perished.

Top View

Underside

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is what the fuel filler cap looks like on my car (74 SY1). Does anyone know what the oem chain looks like? Is it a chain or a few braids of twisted wire. Mine obviously needs replacing but I'm not sure what to use.

f1

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

See here.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 15:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian (and to Robert for putting the pics up).

So the braided cable is the way to go. Mine is about to snap so I need to sort this soon.

Interesting my 74 SY1 does not have the internal flap - must have been introduced as part of the effort to reduce emissions i.e. fuel vapor escaping when filling the tank.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: