Fuel Cap 1977 Wraith II USA Delivery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Fuel Cap 1977 Wraith II USA Delivery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Randy Roberson
Frequent User
Username: wascator

Post Number: 839
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Wraith II seems to have a fuel cap which is not correct; perhaps some PO lost the original, who knows. I almost could not remove it at the last fuel fill.
It seems likely this item was bought out rather than made specifically for this model so is there one available for reasonable cost?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

Could you post an image of what it is you actually have? I'm curious.

I can also post an image of the cap on LRK37110, which I know to be OEM issue, and that's quite different than the one on SRH33576, which is only 1 year older but is European, not US spec, which LRK37110 is.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add:
My 1977 Shadow LRE-23114 has a "cast" gas cap with a wire keeper attached to the cap. Traditional twist to tighten

My 1980 Wraith II LRL-41587C has a "stamped" cap and marked "Rolls-Royce" and is the newer turn until it clicks type.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 79 Shadow SRH37125 has a solid metal cap with female thread while the filler pipe is metal with a male thread, there's a metal chain for a keeper.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting in that SRH33576 has exactly what Mr. Sprauer describes for LRE23114 and Mr. Kavanaugh describes for SRH37125.

And LRK37110 and LRL41587C have the same cap. (She's a 1979 US Spec Wraith II, but with SU carbs, not fuel injection like the C suffix cars for the California market.)

I'm guessing the change probably came about due to evaporative emissions requirements for US Spec cars.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Brian, the cap on my 1980 Silver Wraith II which was ordered in Dec 1980 and delivered in June 1981, has a gas cap with what appears to be a venting inner cap to minimize a surge upon removal.
CA emissions were tight and reminded when I glance at the 80 mph speedo.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Car is LRF 30305, USA delivery.

Cap I have:

Cap I have

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, 22 October, 2020 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aftermarket

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aftermarket.

The OEM one has a metal top-cap with a plastic thread set.

I can't imagine that RR had an RR-specific cap thread pattern, so it's probably possible to find an aftermarket gas cap with the correct fit. Whoever bought that one didn't since it's binding.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 00:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought about other British marques perhaps using the same part: Jaguar, Land Rover, et al.

felipe heuser
Experienced User
Username: felipe

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a correct original used metal cap from an early SS if that would fit...happy to sell realistically...plus shipping from Europe...pm me for price and images…

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Photos of the Fuel/Petrol/Gas cap from LRK37110:

Side View

Top View 1

Top View 2

Brian

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 846
Posted on Friday, 20 November, 2020 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

UPDATE: I did find a new replacement cap, at Albers' of all places, and the cost was most reasonable. I only did not look there first because I could not imagine anyone would have a new one in stock. I will post a photo when it arrives and I test-fit the replacement.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 847
Posted on Sunday, 22 November, 2020 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New cap fits perfectly; not certain where the strap fastens, though. The new cap has BENTLEY molded in.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2020 - 17:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Camilla's fuel cap.

Graham.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, 04 December, 2020 - 22:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My fuel cap is exactly the same as Graham's. I must get one of the grandkids to show me how to download photos.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SRH33576 has the same cap as pictured by Graham, but missing its tether.

I believe the style of cap was different depending on where the car was being delivered and the emissions laws in those places.

LRK37110 has US spec emissions controls for 1979 and has the "sealing" plastic cap I showed in previous photos as well as exhaust gas recirculation hardware, etc. SRH33576 never had any of it, and has the filler tube with external threads and four "winged" cap with internal threads.

Brian

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,.....

Well if the type of fuel cap is dependent on the region the vehicle was destined for Camilla was built for the home market.

She is an English girl.

Just out of curiosity, dose anyone use any additives to their fuel?

You will notice the 'No Unleaded' sticker on the inside of the fuel filler cover.

Graham.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't and won't use fuel additives, and in particular "lead replacement" products.

Unleaded is the only fuel that's been available in the USA since I started driving in the 1970s. There are still millions of cars designed during the era of lead that are running just fine, thanks, with unleaded fuel. Lead wasn't the only anti-knock additive, it was just the cheapest one.

Brian, who remembers the "Gloom and Doom" among gearheads way back when, insisting that cars designed before unleaded fuel would be destroyed by it. That never happened.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User

Post Number: 721
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm aware of older cars in the UK being retrofitted with "unleaded engine heads" to supposedly make them more suitable for unleaded fuel. I think the main difference between the old and new heads is the hardness of the metal used in the valves.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, 05 December, 2020 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

If your cylinder head was alloy then its fine to run unleaded as it would have already had hardened
valve guides,they were what wore out without the lead lubrication.

Steel cylinder heads had softer valve guides and it was these that had the problems, you just had to change out the valve guides to hardened guides.

Graham.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 723
Posted on Monday, 07 December, 2020 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My understanding is that lead prevents micro welding of exhaust valves to valve seats and hence erosion of the seat and pitting of the valve.This is particularly bad on BMC A series engines ( cast iron head with no valve seat inserts).However, my son has run a tuned Morris minor for 50k+ miles with no additive and no valve seat damage but a couple of blown headgaskets. The big problem with unleaded fuel is the octane rating, in the Uk standard unleaded is 95 ron, supergreen 97 ron and Shell V power 99 ron. All uk rr & B ( Shadow on ) require 98to 100 ron, hence the use of octane boosters. This also applies to many UK classic cars and retarding the ignition is not a satisfactory option,( loss of power, fuel economy and overheating).
Interestingly I have just had the top end of my wifes Bentley 8 engine rebuilt following a blown headgasket ( 1999 new Crewe engine, 55 K miles ). The valves and seats even at this mileage benefited refacing.
Mark

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2020 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I'm living proof that what's suggested and what's actually required are not the same.

SRH33576 was a home market Shadow II. I've run her on regular unleaded here in the USA ever since I bought her in 2006. Power has always been "adequate" and she's never overheated. Made it from Virginia to Utah and back not long after I got her.

Her ignition timing, if it was changed, was changed before I got her, but I've never adjusted it. No knocking or pinging, ever.

Of course, I believe that by 1978 we were talking about an engine tweaked for "unleaded virtually everywhere" anyway. It was required in the USA starting in 1975, if memory serves.

Brian

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2020 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, I used my 1975 Shadow 1 as my daily driver for business between 1998 and 2009. Most of this was "A" and "B" road driving, briskly ! I retimed it for 95 ron per the TSD and the fuel consumption dropped fro 13mpg to 11 mpg overall and the performance dropped accordingly. I reset it and have used min 98 ron ever since. Still have the car, having had it restored after an accident with a tree branch at 60mph in 2008. Had far bigger problems with my 1970 Austin Healey Sprite,fuel consumption, pinging, boiling when driven hard after timing retarded etc . I built this engine for 100 ron back in the 1970's with 10:1 compression ratio. Again I reset it to the original build settings and use octane booster to 100 ron with no problems. UK sales engines generally are a different spec and cr to export markets.

Mark

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2020 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could be the difference in compression ratios. Mark's 75 Shadow would likely be 9:1 whereas Brian's 78 Shadow 7.3:1.

Data from Marinus's website:

9.0:1, 8.0:1 from autumn 1975, 7.3:1 for America, Australia and Japan

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Tuesday, 08 December, 2020 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

But remember, SRH33576 was not originally destined for the USA, Australia, or Japan. She started off life in the UK, moved to Germany, then eventually moved to the United States.

LRK37110 was a US Spec car from the get-go.

Brian, who also hasn't had any issues with ethanol in fuel at the usual 10% level with these cars, either.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2400
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2020 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will if you do if you put some leg on the car!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 660
Posted on Wednesday, 09 December, 2020 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The stamped fuel cap (metal + plastic) also has a vacuum break feature that is not found with the cast cap.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: