Shadow Instruction school notebook he... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Shadow Instruction school notebook help from UK needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Those of you who remember the very handy Instruction School Notebook I scanned & posted here about a year or so ago covering changes to the Shadow I circa 1972,which included info on relay positions etc might be willing and/or able to assist.

There is currently a different notebook relating to the engine and final drive for sale on eBay.
I have the sellers details etc but it appears they won't post to Australia.

It's also expensive (UK65pounds) These notebooks are very rare and I'm hoping some philanthropic citizen of those sceptered isles might purchase it, scan it and make it available for posterity and we poor colonials?

Failing that perhaps purchase it for us if we send the money ? Donations from all and sundry appreciated - we can do this.

I have the company's phone number should anyone wish to contact the seller(see below)

These booklets really do need to be in the technical library as the number of technicians who remember these cars grows smaller every year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-A-RARE-VINTAGE-ROLLS-ROYCE-SILVER-SHADOW-BENTLY-T-SERIES-SCHOOL-NOTE-BOOK/233731409716?hash=item366b7a4734:g:MVgAAOSwndFeQ7cG#viTabs_0

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 15:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The seller doesn't come right out and say he doesn't post to Australia, or Canada for that matter.

He lists some countries that he does say he will not send too, did you actually contact him and ask if he will send it to Australia ?

If you have 100% feed back, and remind a given seller that you have as such, most will be quite obliging.

Here are the countries that he doesn't post too, Australia is not on the list.

Africa, Italy, Bolivia, Haiti, Liberia, Nicaragua, Turkmenistan, Paraguay

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 15:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm waiting until later tonight when it's business hours in the UK. Unfortunately postage adds another UK20-30 pounds, even for documents, these days - most sellers won't use Royal Mail for some reason. I'll shell out the cash if I have to but it would be better ( if nothing else for my straining bank account) if we could get someone in the UK to do it for us.

I'll report back on my phone call with the seller tomorrow.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jeff,
If he will not post to Oz I can PM you my daughter's address in the UK and you can have it sent there. When it arrives, she will post it to you.
Let me know.
Thanks
Omar

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar :-)

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 19:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This post has reminded me that I have a copy of TSD2859 titled "PRE-1972 SERVICE BULLETINS for Rolls-Royce Silver Shadows and Bentley T Series". I had completely forgotten about it. It is in a red RR ring binder half A4 size (is that A3 or A5?). It is loose-leaf and I have no idea if it is complete, but the binder is stuffed full with about an inch of paper. It is dated 1972 and contains additions/corrections to all sections of the manual from A to S, and starts with a general section on "Rough running" etc.

I can not remember when and where I got it. It has so many pages it is daunting to think of scanning or copying it, but I will try to find a way of doing it - I have a friend (with a 1967? MPW drophead Shadow) who works in a shop which deals with copying/printing documents and photographs. (I won't sell it.)

Anyone interested?

Alan D.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan - It would be fantastic if you could do it. If you are able to get scans we can work on converting it to PDF format (several people here know how to do that) which is easier to post to this site.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, since I posted the item I've realised that scanning it is THE ANSWER. I had not considered it worth-while until I started to read a few pages - incidentally they are double-sided. It is a gold-mine of info.

I will talk to Tim (MPW Drophead man) today or tomorrow. Or find a scanner and do it myself (but Tim has access to magic machines which might do it automatically, he owes me a favour for the distributor problem I posted a few weeks ago).

Alan D.

Chris Gillings
Experienced User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, 06 October, 2020 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently took delivery of a new scanner and it's almost magic in how it does things. Its OCR capability is astounding and it can produce text-layered PDFs. As a test I scanned a very old Donald Duck comic and it successfully OCR'd almost all the text!

Have a look at the 'Shine Ultra' from czur.com.
https://www.czur.com/product/shineultra

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 01:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've got a single-sheet scanner, which is one feature of an ink-jet printer, but I want to avoid placing 130+ pages by hand (without getting confused). If Tim can't suggest any other way, then.......

Alan D.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did the high-resolution version of TSD2476 in the Technical Library one page at a time manually on my high-resolution scanner which was the best available 15 years ago.

This took more than a few weeks as it was a completely manual process and each high-resolution scan took a few minutes to position-scan-remove the page.

Today's high resolution, high speed automated feed scanners would have been a great help.

Biggest problem was scanning the A3 wiring diagrams which required 3 overlapping scans to copy each diagram on my A4 scanner.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After experimenting with the Brother printer/scanner I discovered that, after pressing a few buttons, it produces a .PDF file with successive pages arranged 2-per-screen. When viewing it can be rotated to give the ideal layout. Quality at 200dpi is as good as the original, which is mediocre at times but nearly all legible, with imagination.

So here goes, but don't hold your breath.

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, I've just spent a mind-numbing three hours converting the booklet into 3 .PDF files. These need to be stitched together and there are a couple of duplicate pages (it is easy to lose concentration during the page-shuffling) but they don't detract from the usefulness.

Volunteers?

Alan D.

PS. I can't see any reference to "Automatic Gearbox" as in the original post of this thread, so there may be more stuff in that item.

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK. I've emailed the seller (no reply) and also tried to telephone (number not connected). The eBay account is set up so no contact via them is possible. It also won't let me bid without a UK address, so I'm no further along. I'll DM Omar & try to bid that way using his daughter's address. Apparently Royal Mail is a bit of a shambles at the moment with the Covid-19 strategy of the UK government causing delays and a collapse of the tracking app due to unavailable labour.

I've got a pile of parts coming from Introcar via Royal Mail so I'm on tenterhooks. (I refuse to use DHL anymore because of their "customs charge" scam in Australia, where they pretend money's owed to the Government but prove unable to produce documents to prove it)

With luck and a prayer...

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, the Ebay picture suggests it has about 20 pages??? Seems a lot of money and hassle. The booklet I've just scanned will be on the web soon and has 120+ double-sided pages and covers from zero to 1972.

If the Omar route doesn't work PM me.

just a suggestion.

Alan D.

Chris Gillings
Experienced User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, 07 October, 2020 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you can upload the original scans as JPGS somewhere (but not here!) I'm willing to try exporting them to a PDF with OCR text overlay.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 699
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, in my experience Royal Mail delivery within the UK is as normal . I have had no problems.
Mark

Jeff McCarthy
Frequent User

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan. I've decided you're right - better to spend the money on some maintenance. Still these booklets pop up from time to time, usually more cheaply. Grab them if you can. I look forward to seeing the scans :-)

Mark - that's great news, thanks :-)

David Gore

Post Number: 3797
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re Chris Gilling's post above, I have a Google Drive folder that may be suitable for uploading the files if I can authorise direct posting from a 3rd party.

Will check and advise further.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, the files are 2.04 + 2.38 + 6.14Mb respectively. Should be enough room?

They got split by the printer/scanner loosing patience if it is left alone long enough to have a cup of tea (me, not the scanner). It closes the output file and goes to sleep so the numerical order by file name is significant.

Alan D.

David Gore

Post Number: 3798
Posted on Thursday, 08 October, 2020 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Great - you can forward these files as normal email attachments using the following address and I can convert them to JPG files for Chris Gillings:

drh14434@yahoo.com.au

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2020 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote from David G "I did the high-resolution version of TSD2476 in the Technical Library one page at a time manually on my high-resolution scanner which was the best available 15 years ago."

My effort with a paltry few pages of booklet gives me some slight appreciation of other folks Herculean works.

Alan D.

David Gore

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Friday, 09 October, 2020 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen and others,

Alan Dibley kindly forwarded his pre-1972 Shadow/T Series Service Bulletin files to me which I have now processed and consolidated into a downloadable PDF as attached here:

application/pdfService Bulletins
Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Pre-1972 Service Bulletins.pdf (8020.9 k)

I also converted his PDF files into JPG format and these can be downloaded from Google Drive using the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12eeQtYBBBk136ceXIV0NxHjgX6i8wE0-?usp=sharing

The first 3 pages of the PDF file are of problematic quality but the later pages are significantly better especially when enlarged.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks to Alan for making this documentation available and to David for his time in creating the PDF file.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

What Geoff said!

Graham.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, 10 October, 2020 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I should have mentioned before that the bulletins that appear to be missing from the booklet are in fact missing from the booklet.

Alan D.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: