Spare tire carrier screw Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Spare tire carrier screw « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Avery Wise
New User
Username: hans3

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On both an SY and SZ I've observed my under-floorpan spare tire tray lowering itself (via vibration on the screw rod) in just a few hundred miles, if that. Is there a TSB or preferred means for keeping the screw rod under more tension? I suppose a sufficiently large lock washer could suffice.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Avery,

I would be looking for the source of the vibration to eliminate the cause rather than trying to stop the retaining screw self-undoing.

I would be concerned about future problems lowering the spare wheel when needed associated with the use of high-torque retention.

I would be looking at the following areas for the cause:

1. Out-of-balance wheels or tyre tread separation.

2 Misaligned drive shafts due to self-levelling system not functioning/coil spring misalignment/spring bottom retainer corrosion.

3. Worn Detroit trunnions [swap sides if they are still in their original delivery locations].

4. Worn wheel bearings [most difficult replacement]

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Avery
Add to David's list
5 bad spheres, hard suspension
Mike

Avery Wise
New User
Username: hans3

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies but there's no discernible vibration or abnormal vibration in the car--the car rides fine. I have to presume it's some sort of subtle vibration that's causing this well-oiled rack screw to turn on its own. There's no secondary retaining mechanism for the screw (by design), hence my question regarding TSBs or improvisations.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

TSB's are on the Bentley Heritage site.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3745
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2020 - 08:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had this problem for a short period of time with DRH14434 which had been fitted with Avon tyres in the UK before shipment to Australia - fixed by having all wheels dynamically balanced and adjusting the rear ride height control settings so the drive shafts were horizontal at all times.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, 24 July, 2020 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To stop bit falling off vintage motorcycles the usual trick is to put an O ring under the fasteners if they are applying a critical load.
In theory the tyre should be damping out the vibrations

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Saturday, 25 July, 2020 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In theory the tyre should be damping out the vibrations

Only if it is the correct size and inflated correctly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: